NEW PATHFINDER PROBLEM - Has anyone else experienced a NO acceleration issue?? - Page 11 - Nissan Pathfinder Forum
 7Likes

post #101 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjw View Post
Yes, mine did the same on my 2nd CVT - had none of the acceleration/stalling issues with the first CVT. Mine just wouldn't go sometimes when I pressed the gas - no rhyme or reason - just intermittent like most of my other PF issues. Mine could not be replicated and quite honestly, I don't think that the Nissan rep believed me. Good luck to you. I was terrified to drive my PF for the last several months of ownership leading up to my buyback - my family could have been killed when my PF would randomly stall/not go in traffic.
I just had this happen to me. 2014 Pathfinder, 4 month after owning it, they had to replace the transmission and all of the breaks. Now, two years later, the transmission simply stops working while driving on the MASS Pike at rush hour. Zero acceleration, no RPM's when press on gas. Completely dead on the side of the road. Had to be towed to dealership who now trying to figure out what is wrong. Pathetic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 108 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 10:22 AM

Year: 2014
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Reviving an old thread...

I have a 2014 with 30k miles. Never had any issues with the CVT, shudder, jerking and whatever else (fingers crossed). Recently (about two weeks ago) the wife started complaining that sometimes the Pathfinder would not accelerate when backing up from a parking space or when pulling out from a parking lot onto a street. I drove it during the weekend and felt the same thing a couple of times though I couldn't pinpoint exactly what was happening.

I came here, read the whole thread, and felt immediately relieved because I thought I too had a faulty brake lamp relay. Next weekend (I only get to drive it on weekends), I tried to replicate the error by lightly pressing the brake pedal until the brake lights came on and tried accelerating. Wow, I was surprised that my PF actually accelerated even though the brake lights were on. Anyway, after about 10 minutes of fooling around by braking and accelerating at the same time I ruled out the faulty brake light relay. I don't know why but my PF will accelerate even when pressing the brake pedal. I also must say that I have been watching the thing like a hawk hoping to find the brake lamps on when no one is pressing the brake pedal but that hasn't happened.

So this past weekend I was hoping to replicate the problem and finally was able to replicate it about 40% of the time. What I have to do to replicate it (not always, but fairly consistently) is to stop completely on level terrain (no inclines), keep transmission in Drive or Reverse while pressing the brakes, turn the wheels completely to the right or left and gently keep pulling the steering wheel trying to go past the right or left limit. I then release the brakes, press the accelerator and nothing... No revs, no noises, nothing... It's as if the accelerator was disconnected from the car. Keeping the accelerator still pressed and not responding, I return the wheels to straight position but the PF will still not move. I have to completely depress the pedal, press it again and only then it will start behaving normally again.

Has anyone had this behavior? Any pointers on what the dealer should be looking at? I read someone mentioning faulty wheel sensors or a very minuscule loss of traction when doing hard turns but I've done my tests on completely dry pavement where I'm pretty sure there is absolutely no chance of wheel spin. I made a service appointment for Wednesday... I hope I will be able to replicate it again in front of the tech...
post #103 of 108 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I was one of the people that had the brake relay issue. If you are able to recreate the problem. I would try shifting into park and getting out of the car to look at brake lights (or have someone watch for you). This is how i knew something was wrong. I had parked the car and shut it off at a store. As i walked away, i noticed the brake lights were on. It is my wife's daily driver and she had told me of a problem, but i wasn't able to re-create on purpose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 108 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
My PF did behave the same way a few months ago, Nissan diagnosis it and found the "brake light relay" was bad. it was replaced under warranty and never happen again. what mmulliki said is correct.

Current
2014 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum
2006 Toyota Rav4 Limited

Past
2014 Nissan Sentra SL
post #105 of 108 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmulliki View Post
I was one of the people that had the brake relay issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay62 View Post
My PF did behave the same way a few months ago, Nissan diagnosis it and found the "brake light relay" was bad. it was replaced under warranty and never happen again.
Thanks... As I mentioned before, I'm sure it's not the brake relay issue since my PF accelerates even when pressing the brake. Plus I've been watching it to see if the brake lights are on when no one is pressing the brake pedal and that hasn't happened.

Today I took the PF to the dealership nearest to home and got to ride along with the chief technician. I was able to reproduce the issue with him on board and then he was able to reproduce it while driving it himself. What he concluded after the test drive is that after a full stop, if the power steering is doing some sort of "effort", the accelerator won't work. That's why it's fairly easy to reproduce in a parking lot or somewhere where you have to fully turn the wheels while trying to move forward or backwards. It's also easier to reproduce when turning the wheels right, though it can happen when turning the wheels to either side.

What I noticed is that when it's fully stopped and you start turning the wheels you can feel a very, very light hesitation, almost as if the engine was about to stall. At that point you press the gas pedal and nothing happens. The tech mentioned the power steering in the PFs has to do some very hard work, specially when reaching the limit to either right or left. He almost tried to hint that this was normal behavior but I told him definitely not. We've had this PF for 3 years now and it had never behaved this way before.

Anyway, the shop was full and apparently they have a full schedule for the rest of the week so I was assigned a technical service appointment for Friday. The guy said that between now and Friday he'd take a look at the service bulletins and call the factory to see if they've received any similar cases.
post #106 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 05:58 PM

Update on my no-acceleration issue:

The issue kept appearing sporadically while on a full stop, transmission in R or D, when turning the wheels almost completely. I noticed that RPMs would usually be around 750 when idling and when I started turning the wheels sometimes the RPMs dropped to almost 500. That's when the PF would zombie-out and nothing would happen. Try to accelerate and nothing, RPMs hovering a little over 500. I had to either straighten the wheels completely and wait a couple of seconds or change to neutral, then the RPMs would jump to slightly over 1,000 and only then it would accelerate normally.

After a series of visits to two dealerships apparently the problem has been solved. The first dealership was not helpful at all and kept repeating their "this is normal" bullcrap. They kept my PF for 3 days and (after reviewing my dashcam videos) I know for a fact they did absolutely nothing aside from taking it out for a 10-minute test ride and washing it. The test ride wasn't even done by the chief technician *sigh*...

Given the bad experience, I took the PF for its 50,000km maintenance to a different dealership that's far for me but I wanted someone completely different to try and diagnose it. After the maintenance and a couple of test rides, their diagnostic was a bad battery. They weren't completely sure about it but it was their best guess. I never had problems starting the PF so I didn't even know the battery was bad. Anyway, I didn't want to change the battery there since the battery they were selling was really over-priced, so I hesitantly took the PF and went over to Autozone. Their little thing-a-ma-jiggy testing gizmo also showed a bad battery so I decided to get one of those Duralast Gold batteries.

And now I've been driving around trying to reproduce the issue and it hasn't come back since. I've only been driving one day since the battery change but I'm almost sure the issue is gone now. Before, I was able to reproduce it almost at will after 3 or 4 tries. And now I just haven't been able to make it happen again.

Fingers crossed, I hope that was it... If so, it seems that the bad battery was causing some sort of electrical gremlin on the transmission or the ECU while the electrical steering pump pulled too much current from the system.
post #107 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 09:06 PM

Year: 2017
Trim: SV
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabolinche View Post
Fingers crossed, I hope that was it... If so, it seems that the bad battery was causing some sort of electrical gremlin on the transmission or the ECU while the electrical steering pump pulled too much current from the system.
My other vehicle is a Chevy Volt. It uses the 12V battery only for the accessories. When the battery starts to fail, it causes all sorts of weird problems. It's gotten to the point on forums where if someone posts of an odd problem, the first suggestion is always to check the battery. It seems todays computers and sensors are quite sensitive to the proper voltage.
joclyn likes this.
post #108 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 06:32 PM

Year: 2015
Trim: Platinum
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
have someone check your brake lights when you accelerate this issue has been identified many times before, sorry you had difficulty finding the answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Pathfinder Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page