Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

So what does the transmission "judder" feel like?

101K views 180 replies 73 participants last post by  AB16 
#1 ·
Driving about 30 MPH and I don't remember if I was lightly accelerating or coming off the gas but I felt like I went over those warning strips in the road.

Not finely spaced ones on the side of the interstate, but the ones that run full across a lane when they want to warn you that a stop might be required.

Just a momentary b-b-b-b-b-b-bvvvvp.

For those that have had it happen, what is it like?

#2 ·
Exactly like what you just described - like driving over a rumble strip momentarily. It's actually pretty subtle and momentary (lasts for a second, maybe two).

#6 ·
I think you might be right. Though I hadn't noticed it for about 1000 miles, it returned yesterday - again, light throttle, slow speed (between 20-25 MPH). And again this morning under similar conditions.

There seems to be a transition that occurs in the CVT when going from slow to moderate speeds under normal conditions. It almost feels like a shift, or maybe the A/C compressor kicking on or off every time you accelerate from a stop. It's around that point that the judder occurs under certain conditions.

#5 ·
I have about 600 miles on mine so far and I've felt this about a half dozen times. I definitely new something was not right. I found the TSB and contacted my dealer and he told me that he checked my VIN and mine is showing as already being fixed. He told me I could bring it in if I wanted to, but I said it's not really easy to replicate as it's only happened maybe less then 10 times in 600 miles. So I told him I felt it would be a waste of my time. I guess I'll just keep waiting to see if another TSB comes out, but it's definitely not right. It happened again this morning on my way to work.

#11 ·
The dealer assures me that the reprogramming was done before I picked up my PF in January but I've still experienced the Judder roughly once a week. It has always been under the conditions you describe above except the second day I owned the car when it happened at very low speed (maybe 10MPH). I hope this isn't slowly damaging the chain.

#9 ·
PH3N1X, you are about right. when My wife drives, she has never experienced the judder as she has a heavier foot than mine. Since I got the recall done, I have only felt it a couple of times in over 500km or driving with a light foot on the accelerator. I'll see how it goes for another 500km and then report to dealer.

#12 ·
Hmm, mine behaving the same thing too, especially when on low speed, like running over the rubber speed bump.
It happened to me twice. Once at kinda obvious, and then today about just a light judder. My just 200+ miles driven.

I did called my dealer the first time it happened and provides my VIN, and they said no recalled or any last min tune already performed before delivery.

I will take note again. If it happens again, I will contact nissan HQ directly.

Please shared your experience if any of u experienced the same thing.

#14 ·
Yep, you actually feel it in the suspension - it really is like driving over a rumble strip - and the degree of severity can vary. Sometimes it's light, sometimes it's very pronounced, but ALWAYS under light throttle and usually under 30MPH. I had it today in stop and go traffic - this time, it was pronounced.

#16 ·
I would agree with that statement. I've noticed the same.

#21 ·
Same Shudder!!

Hi Got my 2013 Platinum Black Pathfinder 1 month ago and have also noticed the RUMBLE strip feel!
I have 2000 km on mine now, also gear shifts are not always smooth?

Not very impressed actually thinking about getting rid of it and going back to another Armada!

Another problem you can't stay locked in 4x4 on snowy or icy highway?!
It kicks you back to Auto which runs almost always in front wheel drive.
Not what sales person said!

#23 ·
It will display at the top of the VID screen (the screen between the tach and speedo).

Yes, you can switch while driving, though there are some precautions. See your manual for details.

#24 ·
Update: mine has had the update. My wife just left the dealership and they are aware of the judder problem, but they do not have a solution yet. She even drove several other vehicles on the lot and they all did it. Nissan was very nice and assured us they would take care of the problem and would be in touch soon.

#28 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the updates... Nissan Service contacted me too, and also contact my local Dealer to ensure they will take a look at it. I will bring it to my dealer next monday. I will post my update again soon.

Please ensure to report that this issue on their Nissan Pathfinder FB.

This couple of days i tried to recreate the issue again... unfortunately it don't happened anymore, but still want to send it to my dealer to take a look.

#25 ·
I asked Nissan point blank on the Pathfinder Facebook page. They responded and asked me for my VIN and contact info.... we'll see where that goes I guess.

#26 ·
Long Term

Getting a little concerned about the long term reliability of this transmission. Don't get how a reprogram would stop a chain from slipping. Maybe i'm just ignorant about what the problem truly is. No doubt in my mind that Nissan would stand behind it. But for how long...

#27 · (Edited)
I hate to say it, but I'm concerned about the long-term reliability of the CVT too, and the inability to repair this costly part. I'm sure it will have good reliability while under 5-year warranty, but its the 8-12 year range that concerns me.

With conventional transmissions, they will wear over time, as they get towards that 8-12+ year range (of course depends on mileage, maintenance etc.), the wear on the gears and hydaulics can lead to decreased performance. An older tranny won't shift as smooth as a brand new one in many cases, rougher shifts, reduced performance when cold, sluggish shifts etc.. BUT, the tranny still performs its function reliably becuase it is designed to continue to function even when worn - basically it has wide tolerances. You can drive a rough shifting tranny for 100,000 miles with no issues, AND if it does fail, you can rebuild it. It's a common skill set to rebuild a tranny, many auto shops can do this for you - it's not cheap, but it's still affordable, say $2000 for a full rebuild on a 6-8 spd, maybe as high as $3000 on the newer more complex 8 speeds.

A Nissan CVT is completely different. It has very tight tolerances, and when the CVT starts to wear through normal use, at higher mileage later in its life, say after 8 years for typical drivers, it will not run well at all, and in many cased will just quit and go in to limp mode leaving you basically stranded. A small amount of wear is not well tolerated by the CVT which relies on very precise geometries and meshing of parts. To make matters worse, you can't repair a CVT, all you can do is order a brand new one from the factory and install it, to the tune of at least $5000 and possibly more with this "next-generation heavy duty CVT". The only thing that might save you is if you can locate a used one at a wreckers lot, but again you might have problem finding someone to install for you. Only Nissan techs are certified to work on this specialized transmission, and most dealers probably won't agree to intall a used tranny because they can't gaurantee the work, and if something goes wrong there's no way to know if it was a bad part or their mistake - not an argument and liability that they would want to touch.

Until Nissan can make the CVT so that it is serviceable, or drastically reduce the cost of a replacement unit so its close to the cost of a rebuild, they will have continuued issues attracting and retaining lifelong customers. I'm sorry to say it.

By the way, I own a 2008, 5-year old Rogue with CVT. It's done the job well, but I don't plan to keep it beyond 7-8 year range, partially because of my concerns above. There are many documented high-mileage CVT's, over 300,000 km, but I'm not sure what the odds are that we hope to achieve this, especially with much harder city-driving cycles that I spend most of time in. Good luck to everyone.

#29 ·
Well, ... it is happened to me again yesterday and I purposely drove it at low speed around 15-35mph again. My personal experience, this judder is more like when you are light on the gas pedal around those speed.... kinda like when you driving a stick shift/manual shift car that you don't provides enough gas during changing the gear. Definitely will let me dealer know tomorrow.

#32 ·
Okay, i doing more and more research now on other website/google it. This is common for any vehicles with CVT. This happened to any make or model that use CVT such as Subaru, Honda,....etc.

I cannot believed this is a common thing reported, and now they still haven't resolved it? Now it really make me losing hope of bring it back to my dealer.

#41 ·
I have been driving my loaner suv (2012 nissan xterra - cvt) for couple days now. It never have any of those judder no matter what speed i drove. I even tried everyday to recreate it on any speed and road conditions. Guess what? No judder at all and It is smooth.

So what the going on with our 2013 Nissan Pathfinder??? Anyway....I should have another call from Nissan again later today for the update today. Will keep you all posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.