5 Years 8 Months Ownership Review - Nissan Pathfinder Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
ssbollam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Texas
Year: 2013
Trim: Platinum
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
5 Years 8 Months Ownership Review

Hi Friends,
Below is my summary of my ownership with my 2013 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum.
I bought this vehicle on Feb 7th of 2013 for my wife, at that time this is my second car in my garage for family hauling purpose.
I was more interested in Ford Explorer but my wife liked the Pathfinder, she wants red color and her favorite feature is around view monitor. So I was sold for Pathfinder as these two options are readily available at the dealer.
Here comes the summary of my ownership:
Initially I bought this as lease vehicle and at the end of the lease I purchased it. My car manufacturing date was Dec 2012.
Current Mileage: 77500 miles
Pros:
Spacious, comfy ride, decent MPG, around view monitor is the best feature, very good engine.
Cons:
Power steering noise, CVT shudder
Note: I strictly maintain my car with periodic maintenance for oil changes and tire rotations at the Nissan dealers only. Apart from my regular oil changes below are my routine maintenance like brakes and tires with the other issues.
Issues/Maintenance:
Power steering whining noise - only shows up at the winter time for some reason, replaced the electric motor under warranty, initially this whining noise was not there, this noise started around 30000 miles, it was so loud even with the doors closed, we can hear noise from the passenger side. After replacement, whining noise still exists but not to the level of first motor and also this noise only shows up at winter times only.
Brakes replaced at 55000 miles no complaints here, regular maintenance. Only issue is dealer charged around $900 dollars for both front and rear axle brakes but somehow rear brakes gave up under 15000 miles, it was so bad metal to metal contact happened between rotors and brake pads.
Front wiper motor failed at around 58000 miles, got it replaced by dealer for around $500.
AC motor failed around 61000 miles, took it to dealer quoted around $1500, got a better deal at Meineke, replaced the AC motor for $900 with one year warranty on labor and parts, replaced all the tires at the same time as I have to get the inspection certificate and my tires are pretty much due for new tires after all I put 61000 miles on the factory tires, no complaints with the tires. Replaced Yokohoma all season tires for around $1000. Somehow right front tire side wall got a big bulge in one month and Meineke replaced the tire under warranty, so far no issues after that.
Front right power window motor regulator failed in the winter at around 64000 miles, replaced at the dealer for around $400. Around this time replaced my right low beam head light as my factory light bulb is no longer working and I consider this as a regular maintenance and the bulb is around $25.
Around 67000 miles replaced my front windshield due to chip and crack in the windshield, replaced under my insurance, only paid for the new wipers as I never changed my wipers in my first four years.
Replaced rear axle rotors and brake pads around 70000 miles for $300 at Texas dealer as we moved to Texas recently.
Battery died one fine evening around 9pm at Walmart parking after 66 months of service from factory, no complaints here, luckily I was able to find only one piece at Walmart, I purchased it but I did not have tools to replace at Walmart parking, called my insurance for jump start, came home and replaced it by myself. Total spent on battery $115.
CVT internals replaced at 773000 miles. All these years I never had CVT shudder but after 72000 miles, I observed CVT shudder under slow speeds especially when turning left or right, slowly this shudder became so frequent, I claimed Nissanís extended warranty for 84000 miles or 7 years on the CVT at Texas dealer. My car was kept for 6 weeks at the dealer and returned two weeks back. CVT internals includes Pulley kit, seal O rings, valve body, CVT fluid, clamp, washer drain, Pin-cotter, gasket exhaust, bearing seal. After two weeks of driving, my impression was very disappointed with the fix, as I still see the CVT shudder when turning left or right at very slow speeds, shudder was there but itís not that bad as before.
After CVT service noticed that my left low beam factory head light is no longer working and changed the bulb with rear wiper blade as I never changed this wiper after I bought the car, total spent $35, I consider this as regular maintenance.
Things to replace at next service is my coolant lines as my coolant is leaking due to rust in the coolant lines, leak is not that bad but I donít want to take chance and destroy my engine. As of now my coolant level is always stays at minimum and I am adding coolant by myself if it goes below that. Called dealer, quoted around $195 for parts and labor, have to order parts before I give my car for replacement.
Another annoying thing is, blower fan noise in my cabin, I replaced my cabin filter while replacing tried vacuuming to get rid of any debris inside but no luck, looks like I have to get it cleaned at dealer by opening the whole center console to access the blower, dealer quoted around $200 for this, I have to get thing done as sometimes this noise is so annoying. When I was in Massachusetts, I have two pine trees in my driveway, those pine leaves are the culprits for this annoying noise.
Lastly I have to get brake fluid flushed and replaced, as I never get it done and I feel my brake pedal little mushy, another $150 to spend on maintenance.

After all these years and maintenance, I have mixed feelings on this car and brand, I am thinking to keep this car for at least two more years as I just upgraded my 2015 Mustang GT Premium with PP1 and 6 speed manual to 2018 Shelby GT350 Race red on Oct 12th 2018.
Regards
Sudheer
larry likes this.
ssbollam is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator
 
JayArras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Fairfield County, CT
Year: 2013
Trim: SL Premium Package
Posts: 3,593
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Thank you for the excellent review, Sudheer and to the forum!

  • 2013 Pathfinder SL w/Premium in Brilliant Silver
    (replaces 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LT EXT)
  • 2007 BMW 530xi in Sapphire Black
JayArras is online now  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 01:26 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Illinois
Year: 2013
Trim: R52 Platinium
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Angry

I had the same problems ....
MartinGurnee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 11:33 AM
Senior Member
 
larry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
My 2013 SL only had a slight problem with the cvt and they replaced the valve body which I never noticed a problem afterward and it mechanically ran good after till I sold it with 66,000 KM however I had a lot of fit and finish problems like roof rack, door handle, windshield moldings etc. etc. also I noticed it would eat through rear brakes in no time.

2017 Ram 1500 BigHorn Red and I don't know if I lover her yet
Had a 2013 SL Pathfinder
larry is online now  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 08:16 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Richmond, VA
Year: 2014
Trim: SV AWD
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
sounds like my 2014SV

Power steering whining noise - I have that, too, but not as significant as you've experienced.

Brakes replaced at 40000 miles. Went to Goodyear, as I am greatly dissatisfied with dealer. Paid $880 for new everything plus lifetime alignment. Similar story as you - never got an indicator noise on the brakes and never noted braking problems, so wore them down to the metal. Dealer did no favors with his "999999 point inspection" at the oil change.

Replaced Continentals with Michelins at around 35000 miles, cost around $800. The Michelins are much better.

Replaced battery at 42000 miles with Interstate ($80 at Costco). Did it myself - one trick is that the old battery cover is fabric (and garbage), the new ones are plastic. $25 for the cover at the dealer. Significant corrosion on the terminals noted.

While I don't have the blower fan noise you do, I do have a rattle near the rear passenger that I cannot find. I put tape on the bottom door trim, I've been all over the car, I've checked the roof rack bolts . . . aggravating mystery. On the cabin air filter, it's crazy what the dealer charges to replace that . . . if you're a bit flexible to get into the passenger footwell, you can do it yourself and save $70. I had pine needles in mine, like yours.

Broken cargo tie-down in rear (bungee cord broke what I thought was a chromed steel loop, but what I believe now to be plastic).

Fabric on driver door panel and armrest noticeably worn. At 100k miles, I get that. At 40k (highway), I don't.

The entertainment package on this car (SV) is horrible. Car controls freeze on a regular basis, requiring me to unplug and replug my Iphone. I have NEVER been able to get the voice recognition to work (despite multiple training sessions, including at the dealer). Bluetooth is buggy, not always reliably connecting.

My review of the car is "well, it's ok, I guess". Hardly a ringing endorsement, but at the same time, it's never left me on the side of the road and it generally gets the job done.
hmt2b is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 11:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
cool story..

first got it used at 34k miles $18k certified (previously leased one owner) from trade in jeep grand cherokee (igntion problems 80k) nego'd install factory hitch and 7 way plug. bought certifed extended warranty 84 months 100000 miles warranty.. serviced transmission flush and gearboxes at 60k serviced oil change and roation every 4k to 5k depends time of day


dealer installed new tires, and brakes all the way around.

never had issues. only thing back up camera failed 44k. Rear shocks failed 47k (leaking oil oil spots on my driveway)shudder bouncing ride previous.

normal wear n tear on dealer installed aftermarket tires which supposed to last 80k lasted only 35k it was awful in snow and rain worn 75%. new tires falken 950 a/s

75k miles rear brake pad worn making scrubbing sound. replace pads and rotors rear... noticed rear caliper isn't working right,

a/c compressor burnt out 77k replaced warranty ($1400 inclucing rear brake calipers and coolant hose leaking found prior repairing a/c system)

79k front brakes worn scrubbing squeaking (43k on aftermarket cremaic pads) replaced pads rotors still intact and good shape(must be top of line brake rotors)


after last time towing 78k miles, 4700# camper CVT tranny acting up, bad jerking, shaking @25mph towing camper.in campground roads.. binding when come to stop rough disengage* downshift feel stuck @80k.. very rough shift (turned on tow mode when towing) from low to overdrive. wife heard loud whine sound. i checked power steering not that. she heard it from front....not when turning. I dropped off at 81k for oil change and tire rotation... told issues about cvt.. they heard it. they found out by pulled code p17fo..I researched looks like nissan have to replace cvt assembly... . told me come back for appointment with car rental 6 days later.

I currently have 82k miles on it, it is at dealer to CVT failure. dropped it off on monday and 5 days later not ready they called me recently. Thanks to dealer extended warranty plan, including car rental free for extensive repair, cvt trans.

Nice of dealer rental currently driving 2018 nissan rogue sport. I noticed 2018 models have D step CVT when i drove that rogue feels shifing speed, and has shifter on floor for manual shift.. i researched , watched youtube about d step

anyways 2018 models have more newer safety features. .. nice..

i hope when i get it back will be improved

REason chose pathfinder, i was former employee at enterprise rent a car.. when i first saw new R52 pathfinder models arrive at service center that where i worked, whoa, they look very nice, strong engine. and 7 passenger seating nice 4 wheel drive response winter time when had do oil changes.
felt same driving as alitma with v6.. been there few years no plm until had take to dealer to reprogram trans but i didn't care, like the output of engine, amazes me can tow 5k# trailer. tow haul button. and pretty good avg fuel mileage ( saw avg mpg when ppl rented those pathfinder)

wife loves comfort of driving and seating of our niece and nephews and my kids perfect.,.,

still keepping forever plan to put winter plow (long driveway) ... lift kit, bigger tires, brush guard driving / fog lights and light bar... "knock on wood" to next CVT

i still thanks to dealer for selling us extended warranty if we didn't we wouldn't have this pathfinder anymore.

2013 NISSAN PATHFINDER SV 4x4 BLACK W/ TOW OPTION AND CARPETS MODS: installed rear airbags sagging springs for towing
TOWS ( 2012 JAYCO X20E 4800# TRAVEL TRAILER)

(previous 2008 Grand Cherokee Laredo AWD)
2ND CAR:2015 Kia Soul ( wife use most, save mileage on current pathfinder)

Last edited by coolpathy13; 11-09-2018 at 01:46 PM.
coolpathy13 is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 10:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpathy13 View Post
cool story..

first got it used at 34k miles $18k certified (previously leased one owner) from trade in jeep grand cherokee (igntion problems 80k) nego'd install factory hitch and 7 way plug. bought certifed extended warranty 84 months 100000 miles warranty.. serviced transmission flush and gearboxes at 60k serviced oil change and roation every 4k to 5k depends time of day


dealer installed new tires, and brakes all the way around.

never had issues. only thing back up camera failed 44k. Rear shocks failed 47k (leaking oil oil spots on my driveway)shudder bouncing ride previous.

normal wear n tear on dealer installed aftermarket tires which supposed to last 80k lasted only 35k it was awful in snow and rain worn 75%. new tires falken 950 a/s

75k miles rear brake pad worn making scrubbing sound. replace pads and rotors rear... noticed rear caliper isn't working right,

a/c compressor burnt out 77k replaced warranty ($1400 inclucing rear brake calipers and coolant hose leaking found prior repairing a/c system)

79k front brakes worn scrubbing squeaking (43k on aftermarket cremaic pads) replaced pads rotors still intact and good shape(must be top of line brake rotors)


after last time towing 78k miles, 4700# camper CVT tranny acting up, bad jerking, shaking @25mph towing camper.in campground roads.. binding when come to stop rough disengage* downshift feel stuck @80k.. very rough shift (turned on tow mode when towing) from low to overdrive. wife heard loud whine sound. i checked power steering not that. she heard it from front....not when turning. I dropped off at 81k for oil change and tire rotation... told issues about cvt.. they heard it. they found out by pulled code p17fo..I researched looks like nissan have to replace cvt assembly... . told me come back for appointment with car rental 6 days later.

I currently have 82k miles on it, it is at dealer to CVT failure. dropped it off on monday and 5 days later not ready they called me recently. Thanks to dealer extended warranty plan, including car rental free for extensive repair, cvt trans.

Nice of dealer rental currently driving 2018 nissan rogue sport. I noticed 2018 models have D step CVT when i drove that rogue feels shifing speed, and has shifter on floor for manual shift.. i researched , watched youtube about d step

anyways 2018 models have more newer safety features. .. nice..

i hope when i get it back will be improved

REason chose pathfinder, i was former employee at enterprise rent a car.. when i first saw new R52 pathfinder models arrive at service center that where i worked, whoa, they look very nice, strong engine. and 7 passenger seating nice 4 wheel drive response winter time when had do oil changes.
felt same driving as alitma with v6.. been there few years no plm until had take to dealer to reprogram trans but i didn't care, like the output of engine, amazes me can tow 5k# trailer. tow haul button. and pretty good avg fuel mileage ( saw avg mpg when ppl rented those pathfinder)

wife loves comfort of driving and seating of our niece and nephews and my kids perfect.,.,

still keepping forever plan to put winter plow (long driveway) ... lift kit, bigger tires, brush guard driving / fog lights and light bar... "knock on wood" to next CVT

i still thanks to dealer for selling us extended warranty if we didn't we wouldn't have this pathfinder anymore.

got pathfinder back since nov 5th.(today post november 17th).. almost 2 weeks. they replaced whole cvt assembly. flushed cvt fluid dealer had hard time getting one cv axle out bearing stuck on bracket... whining sound came from v belt and idler wheel making squeaking noise didn't hear it. (loud radio i play) new bolts, exhaust gaskets. added more coolant..

took to drive to work and back home notice very quiet ride , feels the power from engine very easy.. feeling ride like new. ok see how it last.. I notice there is D step action won't shift next gear ratio at certain speed (feels 3 speed0. noticed everything reset, disonnected battery had to get my settings back. good dealer service. they respect my warranty with my cvt and everything.

ds

2013 NISSAN PATHFINDER SV 4x4 BLACK W/ TOW OPTION AND CARPETS MODS: installed rear airbags sagging springs for towing
TOWS ( 2012 JAYCO X20E 4800# TRAVEL TRAILER)

(previous 2008 Grand Cherokee Laredo AWD)
2ND CAR:2015 Kia Soul ( wife use most, save mileage on current pathfinder)
coolpathy13 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 12:47 AM
Senior Member
 
mercina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpathy13 View Post
I notice there is D step action won't shift next gear ratio at certain speed (feels 3 speed0. noticed everything reset, disonnected battery had to get my settings back. good dealer service. they respect my warranty with my cvt and everything.
Don't think the D-step CVT is compatible with your 2013 model, easy way is to see what model CVT is stamped on the housing or what they put on your service paperwork
mercina is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 02:10 AM
Super Moderator
 
jman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ontario/Canada
Year: 2015
Trim: SL Tech
Posts: 1,633
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Garage
D-step only became available on the 2015 PF.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jman is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 10:03 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercina View Post
Don't think the D-step CVT is compatible with your 2013 model, easy way is to see what model CVT is stamped on the housing or what they put on your service paperwork
feels like it, low then normal then overdrive. ok will look when i can but i have paperwork which assembly (part#)

2013 NISSAN PATHFINDER SV 4x4 BLACK W/ TOW OPTION AND CARPETS MODS: installed rear airbags sagging springs for towing
TOWS ( 2012 JAYCO X20E 4800# TRAVEL TRAILER)

(previous 2008 Grand Cherokee Laredo AWD)
2ND CAR:2015 Kia Soul ( wife use most, save mileage on current pathfinder)
coolpathy13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Pathfinder Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome