Has anyone towed a travel trailer with 2013 pathfinder? - Page 3 - Nissan Pathfinder Forum
 9Likes

post #21 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2500 mile trip with a 4000+ lb. trailer

We just finished a 2500 mile trip with our 13 PF. Due to the weight of the trailer, I installed a weight distributing hitch. It made a real difference in handling and control. Of course, I have electric brakes, and that worked well, also. The gas mileage while towing (especially when having to buy gas in Canada) was ~11.5 MPG. Although I wasn't particularly surprised, it was a bit disappointing to be that low. Otherwise, the trip was uneventful, and the PF was a pleasure to drive. If you are going to tow anything with significant tongue weight, definitely look into a weight distributing hitch. It makes a huge difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I have a quick question for those of you who towed a trailer with your PF...
I'm completely new to towing, just got our first travel trailer yesterday and was wondering if what i have experienced while towing it home is normal...
Without the trailer my PF is running below 2000RPM at 110 -120 km/h, (70-75 mph) but yesterday when I was towing the trailer it was running well above 3000 RMP at 100 - 110 km/h...
I do have weight distribution hitch as well as sway controller, but I had a feeling that the car was working very hard...again, maybe it's because I have never towed anything before in my life
I did drive all the way with the tow mode turned on but i'm not sure if that would make any difference.
Also the gas consumption was CRAZY !!! I think it was way over 20L/100km (~11mpg)
As for the trailer it is well below the max towing capacity of the PF with the following details:
Dry Weight (lbs/kg) 2580 / 1170.3
Payload Capacity (lbs/kgs) 920 / 417.3
GVWR (lbs/kgs) 3500 / 1587.6

So what do you guys say... is it normal or should I get my car checked or any other ideas/pointers/advice???
post #23 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
ChrisM I think 11MPG is probably about right when towing something unaerodynamic in tow mode. I towed a 2500 Lb boat and got 17.5 MPG in tow mode, aerodynamic boat, 65 MPH. I towed a 4500 Lb camper and got 11 MPG in tow mode, NOT aerodynamic, 60-65 MPH. This compared very well with my Explorer. However, my Explorer only got about 18MPG hwy while the PF gets about 23MPG. I always tow in tow mode because I installed a trans temp gauge on the Exploder and found the trans temp ran up to 80 Deg cooler in tow mode on hot days up a hill.

post #24 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 11:03 PM

On a side note, I wonder what they were thinking when they advertised 5000Lb tow weight and max 500Lb hitch weight. If you tow a 5000Lb trailer you need a heavy weight distributing hitch. That will add about 75Lbs to hitch weight (in my case). If you go with the minimum trailer tongue weight then you are at 575Lbs hitch weight. I compared hitches on other vehicles that could do 8000/800 and found the PF hitch and structure to be superior. When I towed the camper my hitch weight was heavy (with weight distributing hitch) and found the vehicle sat correctly (about 1/2 in lower in rear, no change in front) with about 450Lbs of passengers in vehicle. It was difficult to measure precisely because it was on gravel. The PF was very stable, had plenty of power and pulled up a very steep hill by my house (as a test) extremely well at about 4000RPM. I will have to be very aware of hitch weight when loading the camper. With the Exploder I just threw stuff in front to ensure there was always lots of hitch weight. I ordered one of the Sherline tongue weight scales to carry with me and use before each tow so I don't do something stupid.
post #25 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks a lot justchecking for taking time to reply to my question...

One more quick question... do you leave the drive mode in AUTO or switch it manually to 2WD or perhaps LOCK position???
post #26 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 09:32 AM

I experimented a little and decided to leave it in AUTO. I figured 2WD put all the wear on the front and AUTO spread it out a little when pulling out. Definitely wouldn't use LOCK on the highway.

Received my Sherline scale yesterday. Looks good. Will be very easy to check hitch weight at the house or park before driving. This is a new to me camper with the fresh water, gray, and black water tanks too far from the axle for my liking. So I want to monitor hitch weight closely since I am at the max hitch weight for the vehicle.

My next long distance tow with everything on board is next weekend. I'll post how it goes.
post #27 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Towing

Just got back from towing 3200 lb folding camper 536 mi and returning without camper. PF was great, but as with others could not notice a difference with or without tow mode. Had WDH and prodigy brake controller. No problems whatsoever and had to look back to ensure I was still hooked up. 65 mph most times. Averaged 16.3 towing and 27.2 returning. A happy camper!!! 2000mi on PF and no shudder/judder.
post #28 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 07:11 PM

I give anyone kudo's that wants to pull a trailer with their PF... as mine can barely even pull its own weight, and when it does get fixed ( if ever ) I won't even attempt to try the towing capacity or any towing for that matter..
post #29 of 136 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Year: 2013
Trim: SL Premium Package
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
No problems towing

Well, I'm happy to report that our maiden voyage out camping with our 19' travel trailer went without a hitch (pun intended ) Our trailer is about 3700 lbs dry weight and I'm sure we have about 1000 lbs of cargo, gear and passengers on top of that, so I think we were pushing the limits of our towing capacity.

We camped in the Berkshires of Massachusetts and the fall foliage was spectacular up on the mountain!

One thing I'd recommend though... Use four wheel drive climbing any steep terrain. The FWD wheels just don't seem to be enough. The other thing I also started to do is shift into low gear in steep downgrades to take some of the pressure off the brakes. We had an electric brake controller installed (necessary if your trailer has electric brakes), but it wasn't working properly, so we need to have THAT looked at. Average MPG while towing the trailer: about 11.5.

• 2013 Pathfinder SL w/Premium in Brilliant Silver
    (replaces 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LT EXT)
  • 2007 BMW 530xi in Sapphire Black
post #30 of 136 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tried towing

Towed a cargo trailer with a couple quads in it. I think it weighed in at about 4000 or just over 4000 lbs. Drove pretty good except for the sag in the rear. Found I couldn't level it correctly by shifting the weight around in the trailer. I just installed some load helper air bags. Will find out next summer how they work. Pretty easy install. Put the AWD in auto because of the hills and gravel driving. Have electric brake controller and take off and stopping had no issues. I found it drove like my old 1/2 ton going up steep hills but cvt and engine are quite adequate. All in all pretty happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Pathfinder Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page