Feedback on pushing the limit - Page 4 - Nissan Pathfinder Forum
 2Likes

post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z7What View Post
One thing that is often over looked when towing with a vehicle is the payload capacity of the vehicle. I don't have my PF with me to see what its payload capacity sticker says but a quick look on ebay I was able to find a sticker with the info needed.

The one I found on ebay has a payload capacity of 1149lbs.

So what does this mean?

NOTE: After some research I cant find how Nissan calculates payload, so I will use what I was told Ford does for this example. From what I was told Ford uses 150lb driver & full tank of fuel.

With that being said lets say you weight 200#, because Ford says that the first 150# doesn't count against payload you will need to subtract the balance from the payload capacity.

1149 - 50 + 1099lbs

Now your at 1099lbs. So lets subtract the wifes weight, lets use 125 for this example lol. 1099 - 125 = 974lb

Now your at 974lbs. Lets subtract everything else. 1 kid lets say weights 50#, weekend of luggage for 3 people lets say 200#, drinks, ice chest, bbq pit, fishing gear, food, ice, etc we will say 300# for that but its probably more.

974 - 50 - 200 - 300 = 424lbs

So what does all this mean? It means that based of the payload capacity of the vehicle using the weights I have above you can only have a tongue weight up 424lbs.

So saying you have a tongue weight capacity of 500lbs doesn't mean you can put 500lbs on the hitch but if you would that would bring you 76lbs over the payload capacity of the vehicle.

So that's why its always best to put as much as you can in the trailer so it saves your payload for people and other items. The biggest things you need NOT do is listen to the salesman of the camper you are trying to buy. He will say anything he can to get you to buy it. Do your homework.

So in short look at the yellow sticker on the door and see what your payload is. Take that number and subtract everything that's been added to the truck from driving it off the lot. That means purses, yoga mat, 15 water bottles, human weight, pet weight, ANYTHING that's been added to the vehicle. Take that weight and subtract it from the payload capacity that's located on the drivers door jam and that will tell you what the max of your trailer tongue can be.

Wayne
The only thing I would add is to completely ignore any stated curb weights, and go get your vehicle weighed. It's the ONLY way to know. Ideally you'd take it in emtpy, and then take it back loaded up, including the trailer, and run through without then with the trailer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I would do some comparison between the pre 2007 PF and 2007 refresh. The PF received a nice refresh after 2006. The new PF has more powerful engine now has 284 hp engine vs the 260 hp on the 2013-2016 models. It also received an upgrade in its towing muscle now rated 6,000 lbs towing capacity vs then 5,000.

Here's the fun part. The 2013 - 2016 AWD variant is a very capable work horse. Did I mention that the 2017 did away the AWD? In it's place is a new 4x4. Yes, the new 2007 is now equipped with 4WD system. Nissan finally listened and started to take the Pathfinder back to its original roots. I am actually very excited about these new change.

Good luck with the vehicle hunt. I hope you find the vehicle that suits your needs.

2015 Infiniti QX60 AWD fully loaded + OEM tow package added, Black on black

2007 Infiniti FX35 AWD - Black Obsidian
* heavily moded

SOLD: 2013 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum - Red
w/ 2nd row DVD Entertainment
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
BTW, the new PF is already equipped with HID head lights.

2015 Infiniti QX60 AWD fully loaded + OEM tow package added, Black on black

2007 Infiniti FX35 AWD - Black Obsidian
* heavily moded

SOLD: 2013 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum - Red
w/ 2nd row DVD Entertainment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post

Here's the fun part. The 2013 - 2016 AWD variant is a very capable work horse. Did I mention that the 2017 did away the AWD? In it's place is a new 4x4. Yes, the new 2007 is now equipped with 4WD system. Nissan finally listened and started to take the Pathfinder back to its original roots. I am actually very excited about these new change.

Good luck with the vehicle hunt. I hope you find the vehicle that suits your needs.
The service manuals look the same to me. Page DLN-126 on the 2013 (rev September 2016) shows the exact same drawing of the rear differential with "Electric controlled coupling" as the one on page DLN-138 (rev August 2016) for the 2017 Pathfinder. How are the 4wd systems different between the two if they're both mechanically identical?
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Year: 2015
Trim: SL Tech
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
AWD systems are meant to stay ON all the time, I have a Toyota Sienna and there is always traction at the front and back.
The PF comes with a 4WD system, a dumb one as you cannot keep it ON as long as you want but it is not an AWD.
By the way, the emblem at the back of all PF's reads 4WD.

Last edited by jman; 12-31-2016 at 12:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Pathfinder Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page