Feedback on pushing the limit - Page 2 - Nissan Pathfinder Forum
 2Likes

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
I did a lot of research if you send me private message I can shot you some more camper info. Hank

V Rod Guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Year: 2013
Trim: SL Premium Package
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank View Post
I did a lot of research if you send me private message I can shot you some more camper info. Hank
I'd be interested too, Hank. My current rig will be 16 years old this year and although I haven't had any serious problems with it, it's starting to show it's age and there are so many more lightweight units out there than there used to be.

It's just me and my wife, so no need for bunks. We'd like a walk-around bed that's isolated from the rest of the living space and perhaps a bump-out to give us a little more space when set up.

I'll move this thread to the Lounge if it gets any more off-topic from towing.

• 2013 Pathfinder SL w/Premium in Brilliant Silver
    (replaces 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LT EXT)
  • 2007 BMW 530xi in Sapphire Black
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I plan to tow a 27 foot trailer at very close to the 5000# rating. I have no worries as I have been towing it with a Jeep Cherokee for years which only had a 3500 # rating. Oil cooler and bigger rad get you 5K towing rating I think. I'm in Florida and tow on flat terrain and I'm sure the Jeep trans might have got hot if I went to the mountains. So anyway they do not explode if you go over the suggested rating. Just take it easy and don't over tax the vehicle by trying to go too fast or too steep. And that is just my opinion. I plan to hook up next week for a trial and if it sags too much I'll consider the spring boosters.

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 04:23 PM

Yes there is no question about the PF can tow much more than the 5000lb rating....But if you ever get in an accident and it's your fault or not your fault you are looking for a law suit that you will loose big time. Just saying
ummduh likes this.

V Rod Guy
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Year: 2013
Trim: SL Premium Package
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Plus your insurance may not cover damages because you took an unreasonable risk.

• 2013 Pathfinder SL w/Premium in Brilliant Silver
    (replaces 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LT EXT)
  • 2007 BMW 530xi in Sapphire Black
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
Plus your insurance may not cover damages because you took an unreasonable risk.
That's exactly right and you will get dropped and become a high risk and will pay dearly for insurance.

I had a buddy that this is exactly what happened to him but with a pick-up pulling a flatbed trailer w/ a bobcat on it. He rear ended someone bad and police showed up and called the weight enforcement division he was 1200lbs over and he went though the ringer for it lawsuits etc.. Just not a good idea, imagine if you would have a wreck and kill someone having to lie with that let along involuntary manslaughter jail time not worth it for sure buy a bigger tow vehicle for sure.

V Rod Guy
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
OK so if over is possible then close to the limit should be no problem then right? That was the original question.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Year: 2015
Trim: SL Tech
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Garage
Right, but you need to consider what else are you carrying inside the vehicle (including passengers) as for most cars you need to subtract that weight from that limit. Not sure if the PF's is calculated that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I also own a 2015 pathfinder, it has a low cargo weight of around 1400 pounds (passengers ect) I suggest you look into the Keystone passport they have two models with bunks the bullet and the passport model 238ml they both weigh in around 3800 pounds dry tongue weight is under 500 pounds but i was going to load luggage (pack light) into the camper towards rear and middle. The two propane tanks filled will add about 78 pounds to tongue plus batteries.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Hey yeah Hybrid travel trailer is best bet, this one weighs 4750 GVWR, (3900 empty with full propane tanks/battery) but i knew has issues of soft rear suspension, so bought weight distribution htich and installed by RV dealer, once attached, it was good kept it level only like inch to 2 inch drop, anyways, that camper has 450 lbs on hitch, because of that, wheel isn't centered which has propane tanks, jack stand, spare tire and battery is on front that why all the weight, it was 440lbs dry weight now about 475lbs after i filled camper, (spring time clear basement to put stuff back in camper storage) drove and does fine, just a disadvantage overdrive kick in too early, i manually turn it off then turn back on at highway speed of 40mph and higher
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nissan jayco.jpg (416.9 KB, 21 views)

2013 NISSAN PATHFINDER SV 4x4 BLACK W/ TOW OPTION AND CARPETS
TOWS ( 2012 JAYCO X20E 4800# TRAVEL TRAILER)

(previous 2008 Grand Cherokee Laredo AWD)
2ND CAR: 2005 SATURN L300 (In Laws let wife use)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Pathfinder Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page