Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

Anyone having trouble with loose molding under the roof rack?

65K views 54 replies 32 participants last post by  Avinagud1 
#1 ·
Anyone besides me having trouble with a piece of thin, black rubber molding coming loose under the roof rack - right by the front windshield? I noticed last month that the molding over the passenger side was loose and about a foot of it was flapping in the wind by the sunroof. I had it fixed, and just noticed that the same piece of molding on the driver's side is now loose.

It appears that piece of molding is helping to make the roof rack water proof, and it doesn't bode well that both pieces are already loose with 7000 miles on the car.

Anyone else have the same problem?

#2 ·
I've had the same problem on the passenger side after only owning the car for a week. Tucked it back in a couple of times, but it kept coming back out. The last time, I wedged it pretty tightly under the plastic trim that the roof rack attaches to. Hasn't come out since then (been almost a month since), but I'm pretty sure that's not where it is supposed to be. Was planning to ask the service department about it when I take it in for the first oil change (and other issues, like shudder, misaligned driver-side camera in around view monitor, etc. -- lots of problems for a brand new car).

#6 ·
Just a quick update. Took my PF to the dealer today to have the molding replaced - had a 3:00 appt. When I got there, my service advisor told me that due to having to repair so many pathfinders with loose molding, they were out of the parts. They had to order it. It is not just the black rubber molding that has to be replaced - pp is correct - they have to replace the whole plastic piece.

#7 ·
I've noticed the loose molding issue myself on my 14 PF, not only on the top but the molding under the left and right sides, plus the molding in the very front below the bumper all loose. I've only owned the truck for 2 weeks now so I'll be addressing during first oil change, along with driver side camera.

Another thing I've noticed recently is that the truck stays in high-rev when slowing down and coming to a stop. This morning I notice it staying at high-rev when going down a hill at low speed. Should I be concerned?

#8 ·
At this point, I would be concerned with everything that your PF is doing - I have had so many things break on mine. The only thing you can really do is make it known to your service dept and get it on the record. They will probably not be able to find anything wrong and tell you your PF is working normally :(

Just a little unsolicited advice. If you think you may be forced to file the lemon law in the future, have each piece of loose molding fixed separately. That way, you will have several days in the shop that will count towards your lemon law requirement. I did the same as you - saved up everything that was wrong and rolled into one visit. By doing it that way, I only got 1 day in the shop, when I could have had many more days if I had taken my PF in multiple times. Yes, that is a pain, but could pay off in the future.

#10 ·
Pull it back out, and make more of the piece visable. When I noticed my first loose piece, there was at least a foot of rubber blowing in the wind. They need to replace the whole black plastic piece under the roof rack. It is helping to keep the rain/water out of your pathfinder.

#12 ·
Molding

My molding has been replaced once on the passenger side and twice on the drivers side. I want to see if the roof moulding on the Jx35 is any better for quality and if it will fit on the pathfinder.

It must be happening alot as it was back ordered and took 2 weeks for it to arrive for installation. At least my dealership is good and gave me a free rental car for the second install.

#36 ·
My molding has been replaced once on the passenger side and twice on the drivers side. I want to see if the roof moulding on the Jx35 is any better for quality and if it will fit on the pathfinder.

It must be happening alot as it was back ordered and took 2 weeks for it to arrive for installation. At least my dealership is good and gave me a free rental car for the second install.
I saw another JX35 the other day and the molding was painted body color. My dealer acknowledged this as a common problem.

#24 ·
I too had this issue before Nissan bought mine back... My neighbor has a pf and when he took his in, I believe he said Nissan either had a tsb or maybe a recall that they are required to replace both at the same time. He just got his back today for that.. and of course the cvt issue. ( go figure huh ).. his is a 2014 platinum.. 08/13 build date.

#25 · (Edited)
I have the same problem after a week of ownership (2013model). I can even hear wind noise coming from the tilted up piece. My friend has the same problem with his infinity JX. His rubber trim was replaced, problem was then resolved. I made appointment to the dealership in two weeks. Hopefully, Nissan is as responsive as its big brother.

#26 ·
You might want to make sure that your dealer has the parts in stock before you show up for your appt. I learned this the hard way - showed up for the appt only to find that the part was out of stock, and had to make yet another trip to the dealer a few days later to have the new part installed when it came in.

#29 ·
My molding came loose on the inside of the driver's side roof rack - rearmost 2/3. I jammed it back under. Was in for service yesterday, there is a TSB on this problem and they ordered the plastic basepieces for both sides to correct the problem.

#31 ·
I purchased the 2014 Pathfinder in Oct 11. However, so far the experience has been disappointing. On Oct 11, I drove my brand new car home from the dealer; and, during the ride home, the black rubber molding wedged under the roof came loose. When I reached home, I got out of the car and found a foot and a half of the black rubber molding dangling from the passenger side of the roof. Talk about the FIRST drive of my newly purchased vehicle. I tried tucking it back, but it kept springing back out.
I took the car to the dealer first thing in the morning. Their service department glued the molding back and told me that it would be alright. However, a couple of weeks later, it came back out again. Once again I drove back to the dealer; this time, a new part is ordered (but it is back ordered, so I’m still waiting).
In the meantime, I noticed that on the right edge of the windshield, a small section of the rubber strip was oddly folded in (please refer to picture enclosed). Yet again, I returned to the dealer to have it corrected.
All these are clearly the manufacturer’s QA issues.
Additionally, although in the manual it states that a high pitch sound will be audible while the steering wheel is being turned; however, the noise, which comes from within the dashboard, doesn’t only occur during steering---it is incessant from the moment I start the engine till I turn the car off. This high pitch noise is very bothersome. Driving the car is much less enjoyable than I had anticipated.
And now, I received you ABS notification.
I feel that as a customer of Nissan, I have purchased a sub-standard vehicle. All the excitement related to the purchasing a brand new car of the latest model has vanished. Instead, I feel frustrated and disappointed.
The quality of this vehicle is questionable; and I am tired of the stress and time wasted on running back and forth.

#33 ·
Roof Rack Molding

My new roof rack molding came in and was replaced on both sides. Looks good - nice and straight, no "sine waves" like there were before. We'll see if it is the long-term fix!

#34 ·
I experienced this yesterday for the first time. 2' had come loose on both sides, from the windshield to the front of the roof rails, at the same time. The weather was cold (10 degrees) and has fluctuated a lot lately, as high as 65 degrees in the past week.

Not sure if the simultaneous failure was caused by the temperature changes or the cold weather, but I had absolutely no problems with either piece in 5 months of ownership. I had even checked them closely in November after seeing this thread and saw no issues at that time.

I took to the dealer without an appointment today, and just learned when I picked it up that both parts, indicated on the paperwork as mldg assy-roof, 73852-3ka0a, were deformed and could not be repaired but had to be replaced completely.

The dealer (Nissan Mall of Georgia) had the parts in stock, and completed the replacement in under 6 hours on a busy Saturday... without me even having an appointment!

If your dealer doesn't want to replace right away then I'd try another dealer because this must be a very quick and simple replacement.

#37 ·
Hi dcline414,
Do they charge you for fixing/replacing it?How much? Mine just came out after blown by the wind and i put a glue on it.
I have a 2013 used pathfinder that i bought last year nov, so i guess its not under warranty anymore. I bought it like 17000miles in it already.

#38 ·
Your vehicle has a 3 year, 36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, regardless of whether you bought it used, there's also a 5 year, 60,000 mike warranty on the power train.

#41 ·
I see that most of these posts are a few years old. I had to have both sides of the roof molding replaced on my 2013PF in Nov 2014. I now have to have it done again and guess what it is out of warranty. I called NISSAN and the best they will offer is free parts, I have to pay for labor. Add me to the need to recall list.

#44 ·
Had both the plastic roof mouldings replaced today, however, noticed the new ones were missing the rubber strip on both sides which is what was coming loose from the old ones. At first I though all they did was pull the rubber strip out and not replace anything but they showed me the old ones and sure enough the rubber strip was still partly attached to them.

The service advisor was at a loss why the new ones no longer contained rubber seals on either side of the plastic mouldings, he is going to check with Nissan if this is how the new superseded parts are.

I am not to sure, I think they did a half ass job on mine.

Anyone that had theirs replaced recently, can you check if they still have the rubber moulding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.