What mode do you normally drive in? 2WD or AUTO? - Page 2 - Nissan Pathfinder Forum
View Poll Results: What mode do you normally have selected on the 4x4i control?
2WD 11 45.83%
AUTO 13 54.17%
LOCK 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Year: 2013
Trim: SL Premium Package
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Yeah, I think we're both on the same page, just expressing ourselves differently.

There is a difference between the Pathfinder's AWD system (that they call 4WD) and a true 4x4 system that is either full-time or selectable. In the Pathfinder, selecting 4WD Lock will provide equal power to both front and back axles for a limited amount of time, then it automatically switches back to AUTO after certain conditions are met (e.g., reaching a certain speed, turning the ignition off, etc.).

In AUTO, 4WD will engage, but it is my understanding that power will be transferred to the wheel(s) that are slipping, and not necessarily to one or the other axle. If someone who knows this for sure, please chime in and enlighten me.

• 2013 Pathfinder SL w/Premium in Brilliant Silver
    (replaces 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LT EXT)
  • 2007 BMW 530xi in Sapphire Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
In AUTO, 4WD will engage, but it is my understanding that power will be transferred to the wheel(s) that are slipping, and not necessarily to one or the other axle. If someone who knows this for sure, please chime in and enlighten me.
If you watch the Driver Assist display in the center of the drivers pod (between the speedometer and the Tach) - and you are in AUTO, as you pull away from a dead stop, you can see the Pathfinder push 5% or so of the power to the rear wheels for just a moment while in that initial acceleration phase off the line. The rear wheels are not slipping, but I believe that the Pathfinder is putting some power to the rear wheels to encourage a smooth application of the engine power to the road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-nissan-pathfinder-advanced-drive-assist-display.jpg (429.4 KB, 10 views)

2014 Pathfinder Dark Slate Platinum Premium
2010 A4 Avant Meteor Gray Prestige
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfreddy View Post
If you watch the Driver Assist display in the center of the drivers pod (between the speedometer and the Tach) - and you are in AUTO, as you pull away from a dead stop, you can see the Pathfinder push 5% or so of the power to the rear wheels for just a moment while in that initial acceleration phase off the line. The rear wheels are not slipping, but I believe that the Pathfinder is putting some power to the rear wheels to encourage a smooth application of the engine power to the road.
I came here to post exactly this and that I use mostly "Auto" mode.

Nissans of the past:
1980 Datsun 720 Pickup (L20B)
1986 Nissan 720 Pickup (Z24)
1992 Sentra SE-R (SR20DE)
1995 D21 SE 4x4 Pickup (VG30E)
1998 Maxima SE (VQ30DE)
Current:
2002 Maxima SE (VQ35DE)
2013 Pathfinder SL 4x4i (VQ35DE)

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 02:18 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
I leave mine on Auto also, but I wish Nissan uses RWD for the 2WD rather than FWD

Especially in the rain, let the i4x4 do their work...

2015 Pathfinder Ti Hybrid in Ivory Pearl White
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 02:48 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I leave it in 2WD unless it's wet. Lock for real 4WD conditions (muddy roads, tracks etc).

Wonder if there's a difference in fuel economy.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I have always used 2WD selected. In the Pathy and my 2001 Suburban. I didn't see it in the Pathy owners manual but in my Suburban the owners manual specifically states to leave it in 2WD for normal driving. selecting Auto will decrease MPG slightly and decrease ride comfort. even though the manual says it will only add the additional traction when the computer sees it needs it. I know..... big difference between 2001 suburban and 2015 Pathy. but old learned habits are hard to break.

And I trust the older owners manual over the newer cars to give me true info. seems the newest owners manuals are written by lawyers and don't give us very much real info. like fuse and relay panel diagrams....newer cars just tell us to bring to dealer.

location...Western Washington (state not district)
Other vehicles
2010 Jetta diesel....everyday commuter
2001 suburban...RV vehicle
'56 Buick Special...dad bought new, pulled out back field and rebuilt early '90s
'46 Luscombe... RIP...looking for replacement
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
During summer and good weather 2WD. During winter AUTO. Have used the LOCK a few times in deep snow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Pathfinder Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page