4Likes

post #21 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsin97 View Post
OK folks, here is some peace of mind:
I spoke to Nissan engineering yesterday and they confirmed the juddering, term used in the forum, and quote:

" we are aware of the problem and Nissan is working on update that will come out at the end of June to eliminate the problem."

I guess we just have to be patient at this point, furthermore the juddering does not pose a safety concern.
This is great news.

It's been 14 days that they have had mine for the shudder and the power loss. There was still no word on why or how they planned to fix it.

I went to the dealership yesterday afternoon and trade me into another vehicle, which they did. I now have an SL model built in 02/13 with less than 500 miles.

On the note of older models, the loaner they gave me was built in 03/13 and the sales guy who picked it up confirmed to the dealership that he felt the judder.

I really hope Nissan fixes the judder soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I spoke to Nissan engineering yesterday and they confirmed the juddering, term used in the forum, and quote:

" we are aware of the problem and Nissan is working on update that will come out at the end of June to eliminate the problem."

I guess we just have to be patient at this point, furthermore the juddering does not pose a safety concern.
Good for Nissan.

Those are strong words saying they will "eliminate" the problem.

I wonder if that wording is from Nissan corporate or an individual.
post #23 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkurt View Post
Every automatic transmission I've owned has some kind of undesirable action under certain driver inputs, I wonder if the newness of the CVT has peeps focusing too much on this, but maybe I just have a good one, who knows. If I'm wrong, and it is a big issue, eventually enough people will complain to Nissan, and I'm confident they will find a solution.
You are correct that all automatic transmissions have certain characteristics that can produce undesirable noises, motions, jerks or hesitations. This particular problem isn't like that.

I'm sure you've read that it feels like going over a rumble strip on a highway. It's not a momentary jerk (like the feeling a transmission makes when it changes gears), nor is it just a noise. It's something that resonates through the chassis and can be both felt and heard. There's a distinct mechanical sensation to it that is unnerving at best. It can be subtle, but sometimes it can be prolonged and pronounced.

I hope that makes it more clear what people are concerned about. The earlier TSB to address this issue explained that it was actually a slip of the drive chain due to insufficient tension. Having experienced this many times in the 6000 miles I've put on my PF, I honestly do believe that's what is happening here. And if that's true, that's a lot of otherwise unnecessary friction/strain that will very likely shorten the service life of this transmission. Having driven other CVTs, namely my wife's Subaru, I can tell you that this is not a normal characteristic of a CVT. Given that Nissan has much more mass-market experience with CVTs than Subaru, I find it dumbfounding that they could have released this vehicle with such a significant and prevalent problem.

2013 Nissan Pathfinder SL Premium in Dark Slate with Charcoal leather

2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium in Venetian Red Pearl with Black cloth interior
post #24 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I find it dumbfounding that they could have released this vehicle with such a significant and prevalent problem.
I agree with this.

I am dumbfounded on two levels. How such a significant issue would pass testing.

How a quality company like Nissan could allow this to happen.

Toyota had a huge misstep with the accelerator problem on a lot of their vehicles. I guess it can happen to any car company.
post #25 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 12:13 PM

I've just found this forum. Thanks, its a support group for first time CVT byers

I was one of the first 2013 Pathfinders purchased in my area. I was also one of the first in for the reprogramming. I too have the symptoms still, but mine are far more intermittent than some described here. We have noticed it more on a recent road trip where we drove a few hours at a time.

I have spoken to Nissan, they would not advise me either way on driving it or not driving it. After a lot of research we settled on this vehicle and really do love it. I am taking a optimistic approach on the quality of Nissan and that this is not a new technology for them (based on so many other models having problem free CVT's). Let us hope they have a repair for this soon because it is an awesome vehicle otherwise.

I'll check back here on a regular basis to keep informed. Great forum, thank-you.
post #26 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
You are correct that all automatic transmissions have certain characteristics that can produce undesirable noises, motions, jerks or hesitations. This particular problem isn't like that.

I'm sure you've read that it feels like going over a rumble strip on a highway. It's not a momentary jerk (like the feeling a transmission makes when it changes gears), nor is it just a noise. It's something that resonates through the chassis and can be both felt and heard. There's a distinct mechanical sensation to it that is unnerving at best. It can be subtle, but sometimes it can be prolonged and pronounced.

I hope that makes it more clear what people are concerned about. The earlier TSB to address this issue explained that it was actually a slip of the drive chain due to insufficient tension. Having experienced this many times in the 6000 miles I've put on my PF, I honestly do believe that's what is happening here. And if that's true, that's a lot of otherwise unnecessary friction/strain that will very likely shorten the service life of this transmission. Having driven other CVTs, namely my wife's Subaru, I can tell you that this is not a normal characteristic of a CVT. Given that Nissan has much more mass-market experience with CVTs than Subaru, I find it dumbfounding that they could have released this vehicle with such a significant and prevalent problem.
100% this.

After having the new , replacement truck for 2 days, I can definitely feel the normal operation of the new CVT transmission and how it differs from a traditional transmission. There are pulls and some shakes, but it is very different from the judder. These are very small and hardly noticeable. The only reason I notice them at all is probably because I just got out of one that had a shudder problem and now I'm tuned into every little thing that happens while driving.
Nelliott1241 likes this.
post #27 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker View Post
I've just found this forum. Thanks, its a support group for first time CVT byers

I was one of the first 2013 Pathfinders purchased in my area. I was also one of the first in for the reprogramming. I too have the symptoms still, but mine are far more intermittent than some described here. We have noticed it more on a recent road trip where we drove a few hours at a time.

I have spoken to Nissan, they would not advise me either way on driving it or not driving it. After a lot of research we settled on this vehicle and really do love it. I am taking a optimistic approach on the quality of Nissan and that this is not a new technology for them (based on so many other models having problem free CVT's). Let us hope they have a repair for this soon because it is an awesome vehicle otherwise.

I'll check back here on a regular basis to keep informed. Great forum, thank-you.
I'm with you. I can't imagine driving anything else now, I am so in love with this truck. I have found this forum to be a great source of info, also. Hopefully there is a fix soon!
post #28 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:

Good news.

So recall?
post #29 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker View Post

Seeing how this problem is so common Nissan has to be aware of it, I bet they're working on something at the moment. Usually for something like this they have to call in their engineers to diagnose it as all dealerships tech can do is replace things.

Hopefully some TSB will pop up with a fix mentioned and everyone can start enjoying their PF's once again!
post #30 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 10:44 AM

Mine is going in next week for a two day appointment at the shop... will advise on what comes up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Pathfinder Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page