Hood flutter at highway speeds - Page 3 - Nissan Pathfinder Forum
 6Likes

post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I drove about 400 miles this past weekend. I noticed the hood fluttering quite a bit. I was driving into a 25 mile an hour south wind, but I have not had this problem with any of my other vehicles. The Path only has 1000mi on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I drove my 2013 Pathfinder with a hood deflector on it over the last two days about 250 miles and notices a definite flutter at highway speeds. Has anybody had any luck at the dealership to correct this yet???
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cgaijin View Post
I drove my 2013 Pathfinder with a hood deflector on it over the last two days about 250 miles and notices a definite flutter at highway speeds. Has anybody had any luck at the dealership to correct this yet???
I don't have a hood deflector.

All the dealer has done for me is adjust the black stops on the hood. I don't believe they have messed with the latch but mine doesn't seem to be loose. It's fairly secure until a wind gust hits driving around 65-70.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
It's been a while since I've updated my post here - mostly because my hood flapping issue seemed to get considerably better after I removed my hood deflector. That said, I have noticed it shaking here and there since, but not quite as violently as it did with that deflector.

I think I mentioned that my dealer claimed the latch couldn't be adjusted and instead played with the hood bumpers (which actually allows more air through the hood seam, since it increases the gap).

It was especially noticeable today after I got it washed and the hood was nice and shiny - so I decided to take matters into my own hands.

For anyone else who wants to do the same, it's actually quite easy to adjust the hood latch - and there is plenty of play in it, though mine was already pretty low from the factory. To do it, you just need to remove the radiator shroud (about a dozen clips, maybe a few more). Once that's off, there's just three bolts holding in the latch, right front and center - two to the left and one to the right of the hinge mechanism. Use a 12mm socket to loosen the bolts. Once they're a little loose, you'll notice that there's plenty of play in the latch. I lowered mine as much as I could and snugged up the bolts to test the fit. Once I was confident that everything aligned as it should (there is some left-right play as well), I torqued them down really well and replaced the shroud.

After that, the hood wouldn't close with the bumpers at their dealer-set position. So I screwed them up a bit into the hood (clockwise motion) and repeatedly tested to see how easily the hood would latch. As it sits right now, it requires a sizable slam. But that hood is absolutely not going anywhere - and I believe the gap is lessened greatly, which should hopefully reduce lift.
cfrp, jjgreek, dcline414 and 1 others like this.

Current: 2016 Toyota Highlander XLE in Predawn Gray Mica with Ash leather

Former: 2013 Nissan Pathfinder SL Premium in Dark Slate with Charcoal leather

2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium in Venetian Red Pearl with Black cloth interior
post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I also have the Hood Flutter. Planning on taking it in to see what they say and can do about it.

Certified 2013 Nissan Pathfinder Premium Platinum White with Almond 12,000+ Miles

2004 Nissan Titan CC Black 170,000+ Miles
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hood Flutter

I have noticed the hood flutter since we purchased our PF last spring. I have mentioned it to the dealer when I've taken it in for oil changes. They did say they've had other 2013 PF owners mention it to them. It latches well and I haven't had any issues with it. I can say that we were in traffic on a mountain with a cross wind gust of 50-60 mph and the hood lifted slightly but didn't unlatch or come undone.
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Mine flutters only when there is a cross wind....
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
It's been a while since I've updated my post here - mostly because my hood flapping issue seemed to get considerably better after I removed my hood deflector. That said, I have noticed it shaking here and there since, but not quite as violently as it did with that deflector.

I think I mentioned that my dealer claimed the latch couldn't be adjusted and instead played with the hood bumpers (which actually allows more air through the hood seam, since it increases the gap).

It was especially noticeable today after I got it washed and the hood was nice and shiny - so I decided to take matters into my own hands.

For anyone else who wants to do the same, it's actually quite easy to adjust the hood latch - and there is plenty of play in it, though mine was already pretty low from the factory. To do it, you just need to remove the radiator shroud (about a dozen clips, maybe a few more). Once that's off, there's just three bolts holding in the latch, right front and center - two to the left and one to the right of the hinge mechanism. Use a 12mm socket to loosen the bolts. Once they're a little loose, you'll notice that there's plenty of play in the latch. I lowered mine as much as I could and snugged up the bolts to test the fit. Once I was confident that everything aligned as it should (there is some left-right play as well), I torqued them down really well and replaced the shroud.

After that, the hood wouldn't close with the bumpers at their dealer-set position. So I screwed them up a bit into the hood (clockwise motion) and repeatedly tested to see how easily the hood would latch. As it sits right now, it requires a sizable slam. But that hood is absolutely not going anywhere - and I believe the gap is lessened greatly, which should hopefully reduce lift.
this!

I've done this before on another car. Its a bit of playing around with the latch height and rubber stoppers height. But once you get it - it should help

Just make sure you torque down those 3 bolts!

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD
2013 Nissan Pathfinder?!?!
post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got the same problem with my hood. The dealership try to tightened some of the spring on the hood, it made it better. But sometimes it still vibrate and at worst make some clicking sound at 55MPH+ on a windy day (the same sound when you try to lift the closed hood with finger repeatedly).
I'm taking it to the dealership again to get it fixed again, we'll see what they did next.
Got so many little problems here and there and would like to get it over with and enjoy the car.
post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotX View Post
I got the same problem with my hood. The dealership try to tightened some of the spring on the hood, it made it better. But sometimes it still vibrate and at worst make some clicking sound at 55MPH+ on a windy day (the same sound when you try to lift the closed hood with finger repeatedly).
I'm taking it to the dealership again to get it fixed again, we'll see what they did next.
Got so many little problems here and there and would like to get it over with and enjoy the car.
There are no springs. They probably adjusted the bumpers, which can be done by a trained chimp. If it's making noise,chances are the latch isn't right. Tell them to adjust the latch, it shouldn't be making any noise. If it is, that's a real safety issue.

Current: 2016 Toyota Highlander XLE in Predawn Gray Mica with Ash leather

Former: 2013 Nissan Pathfinder SL Premium in Dark Slate with Charcoal leather

2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium in Venetian Red Pearl with Black cloth interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Pathfinder Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page