2013 vs 2014 - Nissan Pathfinder Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
2013 vs 2014

Our 2013 Pathfinder was recently replaced by Nissan for a new 2014. We had a 2013 SL and now we have a 2014 Platinum. I thought I would share a couple comments about the differences we noticed with the vehicle. Keep in mind our 2013 was one of the very first to roll out. It was actually the first one at the dealership when we bought it back in 2012.

#1 The doors seem like they have better seals. The 2013 pathfinder was pretty easy to shut the doors. The 2014 takes a little more effort, but seems quieter. We like this exchange. We haven't noticed the wind noise coming from the right rear door like we did with the 2013.

#2 Engine noise at idle. our 2013 would idle up and down and up and down when it idled in the garage or at start up. It would continue to do this type of idle after driving it for a while and then parking it. The 2014 isn't doing any of that. It is idling level and sounds normal. It doesn't have that high pitch whine as well which is nice.

#3 The seat belt buckles are different. They are larger on the 2014. We noticed this in both the front seats. I haven't sat in the back so I can't tell you if those are different as well.

#4 The headlights are better aligned. The 2014 seems to be redirected further down the road which is nice. Our 2013 must have been pointing at the ground....

#5 We haven't noticed the hood vibrating like it did on the 2013.

#6 The passenger side airbag now just stays on when my wife is sitting in the seat. It used to go off and on as we drove down the road. She weighs probably 110 lbs so that is the problem there. I wish that weight was a bit lower so it would stay on.

#7 I know it is early, but no shuddering. I was pretty good at getting it to happen on the 2013, but no such luck...knock on wood. It is a bit early to tell, but I wonder if the way it idled had something to do with that shudder.

#8 gas mileage is higher in the new one. It isn't broken it yet, but our average is already higher than it was with the 2014. Nothing has changed in the way we drive or anything.

#9 The kids noticed the heated air coming out in the rear seat. It was there in the 2013 so I'm not sure why they keep noticing this...unless it wasn't working as good. This one is still undecided if it is really is a difference.

If anything else changes or if old symptoms come back I'll let you know. We actually were thinking about trading this one in for a different one. We really liked our old Pathfinder, but it shuddered to a stop. If it wasn't for that we'd have kept it for looong time. We are pleased how Nissan worked with us and we are undecided if we want to trade it in. The tough part was trying to find a trade in value for the 2014. We did find some online, but they all had a couple thousand miles. If we traded for close to what they were asking for we would be happy. They problem would be finding something equivalent. We've had a Pilot and Acadia. Wouldn't go back to the Pilot and the ride in the Acadia was like a tank. The new Highlander seems like an option, but we really need that space behind the 3rd row.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
I'm curious as to why you would want to trade the 2014 in if it has solved all the problems you had with the 2013 and you loved the 2013 to boot? And besides that, you stepped up a trim line. Sounds like you made out pretty well. It dumbfounds me why you'd want to give it up. Are you afraid of the potential for the jutter to return?

• 2013 Pathfinder SL w/Premium in Brilliant Silver
    (replaces 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LT EXT)
  • 2007 BMW 530xi in Sapphire Black
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
I'm curious as to why you would want to trade the 2014 in if it has solved all the problems you had with the 2013 and you loved the 2013 to boot? And besides that, you stepped up a trim line. Sounds like you made out pretty well. It dumbfounds me why you'd want to give it up. Are you afraid of the potential for the jutter to return?
Yup, from what I heard and seen, apparently 2014's were just as bad, at least a good portion of them
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
that sounds like a steal! The only reason i could understand you wanting to trade it in is because your new '14 is up a trim level and worth a bit more in terms of trade in value, you could get some excellent options from other brand you mayu have ignored because of price point.

but if you love it, keep it...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Why was the 2013 bought back by Nissan. Because of the shuddering???

I just bought a 2013 SVwith 23k on it. I never heard about the shudder stuff til I found the nissan fourms. I am scared sh@t less at what may happen.

Isnt going from the SL to a Platinum, 2 up grades. I think you got a wounderful deal.

RON

2013 Brillant Silver Pathfinder SV
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpe View Post
Isnt going from the SL to a Platinum, 2 up grades.
The levels are S, SV, SL and Platinum, so unless you consider the Tech or Premium packages a level, SL to Platinum is one upgrade.

Someone on another thread mistakenly referred to Platinum as "Palladium". Now, that's the level I want! LOL!

• 2013 Pathfinder SL w/Premium in Brilliant Silver
    (replaces 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LT EXT)
  • 2007 BMW 530xi in Sapphire Black
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Like others here, I'm also wondering why you would want to get rid if a car you seem to be pleased with.
IMHO the new Highlander is not very attractive...especially compared to the 2013/2014 Pathfinder. Although the Highlander's side profile looks okay, the opening in the front for a grill looks horrible. What was Toyota thinking ?? To each his own I guess.

2013 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum
(Arctic Blue/Charcoal)
Build Date: April 2013

1991 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
(Triple White)
Build Date: December 1991

1965 Ford Thunderbird convertible
(Guardsman Blue/Black)
Build Date: March 1966
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFOK View Post
IMHO the new Highlander is not very attractive...especially compared to the 2013/2014 Pathfinder. Although the Highlander's side profile looks okay, the opening in the front for a grill looks horrible. What was Toyota thinking ?? To each his own I guess.
The interior of the Highlander is terrible and there is ZERO room in/behind the 3rd row.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the delayed update. Here's what happened.

The vehicle was bought back from the shudder. We also had a couple other items like the rear heated seats kept blowing fuses, the vinyl wrap around one of the door columns was lifting off, we couldn't figure out that darn airbag light. We had the vehicle in for about 5 attempts with the transmission shudder. It started around 2,500 miles and then got worse. It was one of the first to have it so Nissan collected all sorts of data from it. Months later we tried the torque converter which seemed to work for a bit and then the shudder returned. They replaced the transmission and it worked for a couple thousand miles with no problems then it started again.. however... it wasn't as bad as it was previously. It was much milder, but it still aggravated me and I worried about resale. We drove it with a tech who felt it and then recorded it again on his computer. They wanted to replace the transmission again. At that time I notified BBB and Nissan called me back the next day. They didn't even put the 2nd transmission in before they replaced it.

When Nissan customer service first called me they said they were 95% sure they would either buy it back or replace it. I was amazed at how easy it was to work with them. Within a week they verified the offer to buy it back. They offered to send me a check. I first liked the idea, but then started to do the math on a replacement. If I took the check I would lose another $2,500 to taxes buying a new car. We had traded in an Acadia previously that reduced the tax bill, but buying a new one meant we would have to pay full sales tax on the new vehicle. That stunk. I talked with the service guy at Nissan who was very friendly, but now very clear about the who process. He then explained what a replacement was. A replacement is where they basically swap out your vehicle with a newer one with the same features. No $$ is exchanged and they actually just swap the car that is associated with your existing loan. I liked this idea since it saved us some $$, but I still worried about the shudder so I said I won't take a 2013. They said no problem and asked that I find a comparable 2014 model. When I asked him why he didn't explain the replacement process more when we first talked he said that 90% of the time people want the buy/back so he started down that road.

Next, I started the process of finding a replacement. I had to keep the features on the replacement the same as what we already had in the 2013. The trouble is that ours had those dual DVD players in the headrests. I couldn't find one of those anywhere in the 2014 version. I thought that feature was pretty common...but found out the packages for 2014 are different than the packages in 2013. I searched the internet and Nissan inventory for 500 miles. Finally, our dealership finally received 2 new Pathfinders the first week of January. (interesting note, if you look up the inventory on your phone...you can actually see what inventory is ordered. If you look it up on the computer.. you can only see what is available on the dealership lot.) The problem was that they were Platinums with the Premium package. This was the only way I could find a Pathfinder with 2 screens even though it was tri-zone dvd feature. The pricing difference was $7,500 more than what we paid for our old one, but it had the same features...ie the dual dvd players. It also had additional features for being a Platinum and Premium Package.

I sent the VIN to the guy at Nissan to look up the replacement vehicle and he originally said I would be responsible for the difference in pricing. The difference wasn't for the full MSRP difference, but still a difference. I believe it was like $5,500 or something. I asked why we would be responsible since the features matched and I explained that our configuration of features wasn't available on a similar 2014. The service rep then read off the options that we had on our 2013, but I noticed his description of our 2013 didn't say DVD players. For some odd reason our existing VIN with our 2013 didn't show him that we had the dual monitors. He had to find a different system at Nissan and then confirmed that it did have the feature. He then confirmed that we had matched the replacement feature to feature and that Nissan approved the upgrade. From here we just had to wait for Morely to finish the replacement.

It was in this time that I started to read about the 2014 models and some were having the same shudder. I started shopping for other replacements since I didn't want to go through this again. It wasn't until after shopping and driving this one around I really though about keeping it. I knew how the 2013 drove and could get that thing dancing if needed. This one honestly feels different so my pessimism has turned to optimism...knock on wood...

@ Patches.. you nailed my thoughts. I thought that with this new vehicle I could actually take the bump in equity and trade it in for something else. Even a trade would beat the net offer of the buy/back. The problem is... I couldn't find another solid option with similar features. The Pilot is blahh, and we've had one of those. The Acadia/Traverse...was nice, but it didn't hold up very well when we owned it. It was a first year model so we went down that road too. We live in a snowy area and we got stuck twice coming out of the drive way. The AWD was helpful, but useless as the wheels wouldn't lock up. The free wheel took all the power which left us stuck. Explorer is too small and some of our family have had a lot of problems with those. The new highlander seemed like the next best fit. The 2nd row was the most attractive till I saw the storage behind the 3rd seat. We have 4 kids and we use that storage area.

@ Grumpe.. if it isn't shuddering at 23k miles... I'd say you missed that added feature. It seems like most shudders started at 2-3k miles. The shuddering in ours after the 1st transmission replacement wasn't "huge", but I feared it was progressive.

I was very pleased with Nissan and they earned my trust on this replacement. I know others have had horror stories and dealerships have been atrocious, but if this happens again...I'm not breaking any new ice. It is interesting to see the disconnect between the dealers and Nissan Corp. We know the dealership owner, but he was out of the loop. I know if it would have gone south he would have stepped in and made an offer of some sorts.
Jerico, therm0 and thebals like this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

that was a figgin book...

sorry guys and gals

Last edited by Slcbtf; 01-30-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Pathfinder Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page