Need to change brakes - looking for advice - Nissan Pathfinder Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Need to change brakes - looking for advice

Dealer showed my rear brakes to me during a recent 30,000 mile service of my 2013 Pathfinder and they are 2mm. He said I need to change them. My fronts are 4mm he said.

1. Dealer says they replace the pads with Nissan Value Pads and they machine the rotors if need be. Does this make sense? (I haven't heard of anyone machining rotors nowadays, everyone just replaces them and I have always replaced rotors and pads together).
2. Would you go with OEM pads/rotors or something else?
3. Would you do both fronts and rears? Or wait on the fronts?
4. How many miles would you say the fronts and rears would last?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Garage
I recommend first of all, find yourself a good (non dealership) mechanic...ask friends, relatives, co-workers etc etc ...once you have a good, trustworthy mechanic, buy parts online (you can can get goods deals on parts online) then have your new mechanic install for you.

Rotors are still machined (cheaper than buying all new ones). When I have to change pads, I just have them all done at the same time.

Current
16 Maxima SR Pearl White
15 Focus ST Oxford White

PAST
14 PF Platinum Prem Dark Slate/Charcoal Int
13 Sentra SR
13 PF S
12 Sentra SR
04 350Z touring
02 Xterra
98 200 SX
88 300 ZX
86 Maxima (1st car)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
at 44000 kms (26400 miles) I am being told I need pads on the rear. That type of brake life is nothing short of criminal. Are the friction surfaces made of Cool Whip?
tightywhitey likes this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
I keep hearing this about the rear pads wearing out so fast, making me think of going to the auto parts store and getting a good set of pads my PF only has 8800 miles on it but this may help with the pads seating on the rotors and extending the life of rotors and pads. Thoughts....
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage
I changed my rear pads for Wagner pads. My mechanic said he liked Wagners. My mechanic looked at the fronts and said I have about 80% left. He said he didn't know why the stealership said they were only 4mm. He said they look at least 8mm to him. He did confirm that the rears needed to be changed ASAP.

* 2013 Pathfinder SL w/ Premium
* 2002 BMW 325xi
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Not to offend your mechanic, but he could actually MEASURE them. They have devices for that nowadays. We are close to 40,000 kms (25K miles) and the brakes are still fine. Mostly hiway driving though.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Every Nissan I have owned has eaten brakes. Not a big deal though, brakes are (relatively) easy to change. I did the fronts on my X-Trail myself in a couple hours.

Turning rotors can be done and is much cheaper than replacing the rotors, but you also have less material left to work with with they are done, which means they will warp easier.

My recommendation would be to save up for a good quality set of rotors and pads. Nissan OEM brake parts aren't exactly high quality, which is why they wore out so quickly in the first place. Look for a reputable site (or service center) to buy from and read reviews before laying down your cash.

Also, don't be fooled by the cheap slotted and drilled rotors that they sell on eBay... they look nice, but you tend to get what you pay for and you don't want to cheap out on your brakes!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidoosh View Post

Also, don't be fooled by the cheap slotted and drilled rotors that they sell on eBay... they look nice, but you tend to get what you pay for and you don't want to cheap out on your brakes!
I bought a set of those Ebay rotors for my 350Z and they turned out great..had them on for around 5 years and never had an issue, I did spring for some good carbon ceramic brake pads though.

Current
16 Maxima SR Pearl White
15 Focus ST Oxford White

PAST
14 PF Platinum Prem Dark Slate/Charcoal Int
13 Sentra SR
13 PF S
12 Sentra SR
04 350Z touring
02 Xterra
98 200 SX
88 300 ZX
86 Maxima (1st car)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
I have recently learned that rotors DO NOT WARP. Apparently that is an old mechanic's tale. BTW, Nissan can machine them on the car. And if you want to see a vehicle eat disc brakes, get a Dodge Caravan.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Start looking around for an independent Nissan/Infiniti shop, usually they're the best to go to, depending on where you live there might even be a few of these around if you look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Pathfinder Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page