driver side door handle failure - Nissan Pathfinder Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
driver side door handle failure

Changed the oil tonight, put the PF outside for the night and tried to exit the vehicle but the door handle pulled with a crunching noise and didn't open. I did not force it, just the usual easy pull. I have to leave town in the morning and will look really classy opening the window to open the door. Wonder what let go and how poorly this item has been designed. I was just starting to be a stranger at the dealership. Here we go again.

2013 Pathfinder SV 4 X 4 in white w/ tan interior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Hello Bob,

did you find out what the issue was ? Looks like this may be the same thing that just occured on our 2k13 pathy. Hope its covered under warranty as I am just over 17 months...
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Had the same issue with the driver's side door handle along with the crunching noise. It was repaired under warranty in about an hour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
keep us updated.. interested to see what broke..

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD
2013 Nissan Pathfinder?!?!
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
it sounds simply like the cable becoming disengaged from the lever. Quick job at the shop, inconvenient indeed!
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
At least it's something simple like that and not anything more, i'd be pissed.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Exclamation MORE INFO: Door Handle Failures

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwaybob View Post
...tried to exit the vehicle but the door handle pulled with a crunching noise and didn't open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly View Post
Looks like this may be the same thing that just occured on our 2k13 pathy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libster View Post
Had the same issue with the driver's side door handle along with the crunching noise.
Just experienced this same failure myself.

Since I am familiar with the interior door panel from speaker upgrade, I thought I would take a look for myself. The cable that actually releases the latch has a ball bearing on the end, which sits in an indention on the inside of the handle. The handle actually has a C-shaped bracket that cups one side and the top of the ball, with the other side open so the ball with attached cable can be engaged/disengaged from the cup in the handle.

This handle/mount is all one piece, and it is made of either plastic or soft metal. I guarantee you that the weakest point in the C bracket failed in the exact same place on all of our vehicles, and the dealer had to replace the entire handle.

This is not a complicated repair, but probably not a cheap part or labor charge once beyond the warranty period. And based on the design of my handle—if not improved on newer production runs—this is a part that WILL fail on EVERY handle of EVERY door of EVERY Pathfinder eventually. Driver's door gets the most action, so it is the first to fail, but all the others will as well at some point.

Hopefully there will be a recall or extended warranty coverage for this flawed design in the near future, but if not I would recommend every owner keep at least one spare on hand.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 09:54 AM

UPDATE: Part Numbers and Availability

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcline414 View Post
This handle/mount is all one piece, and it is made of either plastic or soft metal. I guarantee you that the weakest point in the C bracket failed in the exact same place on all of our vehicles, and the dealer had to replace the entire handle.

This is not a complicated repair, but probably not a cheap part or labor charge once beyond the warranty period. And based on the design of my handle—if not improved on newer production runs—this is a part that WILL fail on EVERY handle of EVERY door of EVERY Pathfinder eventually.
UPDATE:

The left doors both use the same part, as do the right doors:

HANDLE ASSYREAR DOOR INSIDE,LH
Part Number: 80671-3TA0A
This part has been Superceded to 80671-3TA0B

HANDLE ASSYDOOR INSIDE,RH
Part Number: 80670-3TA0

Interestingly, it appears that the left side part has been updated, but not the right. So perhaps this design defect is specific to the left side only, and may not affect all trims/years.

Also, this part is NOT stocked at any local dealerships, and must be special ordered. If having repaired under warranty, make an appointment and ensure they order the appropriate part in advance to avoid multiple trips.

Last edited by dcline414; 06-12-2014 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Fix quote code and formatting
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
i can see DIY's coming up eventually for this probably well before warranty is up
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanguy View Post
i can see DIY's coming up eventually for this probably well before warranty is up
It's not difficult to access... pop off the vertical cover in the door grip/cup and remove two philips screws, pop off the vertical cover behind the handle and remove one #10 bolt, pop around 10 plastic clips along the sides and bottom holding the panel on the door, and lift the whole trim panel up to release the edge along the window.

The way the part is designed, it simply cannot be reattached or repaired, so you would have to remove the entire silver handle piece and replace the whole part. It's about $14 MSRP, but available online for around $10.

The question is, when will your handle break and how long do you want to drive around rolling down the window to open it from the outside?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Pathfinder Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page