Like the Pathfinder 2015-2016 is CVT problems still there? - Nissan Pathfinder Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Like the Pathfinder 2015-2016 is CVT problems still there?

I am interested to get the PF 2015 or 2016. I know these has CVT issues and others.. Has a lot experience this still and does the warranty cover the Transmission. I hate to buy (yes they are giving me $7000 off here in Action Nissan and others in TN) while Highlander does not do as much. What gives? Actually I like the styling more so than the Highlander or Pilot (too boxy in some ways for both) I am sure all are good vehicles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Year: 2013
Trim: SL Premium Package
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum! I think you'll get a good sense of the status of the Pathfinder CVT from reading through this thread.

Renamed: Does the 2015 still have issues? Was: Yes or no? Purchase a 2015 pathfinder

• 2013 Pathfinder SL w/Premium in Brilliant Silver
    (replaces 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LT EXT)
  • 2007 BMW 530xi in Sapphire Black
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
The PF is a great Car I bought a 2015 thinking things would be better with the cvt, but at 15k total replacement of cvt, I still love the car but not as confident in it for sure just my 2 cents

V Rod Guy

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Year: 2015
Trim: SL Tech
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the forum.
Why would you buy something you know has issues? The transmission is covered by the warranty but who wants to go through the hassle? What when the warranty expires?
The Pathfinder is a great vehicle and has a much nicer and complete interior than the competition but, as I've said before, I am not recommending anyone to buy a PF until Nissan finds a definitive fix for the CVT issue that has affected many members of this forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
I just traded mine in, but I'll add my $0.02 here.

The Pathfinder is a fantastic package and is very competitive in the segment. It's getting a bit dated in terms of Infotainment options, but otherwise, is well appointed at the various trim levels. You definitely get a lot of "bang for the buck". And if fuel economy is a key consideration, it delivers the best numbers in the segment, both on paper and in a practical sense. Where it's lacking is in terms of driving dynamics -- it's a little bit floaty and lethargic, though most people don't buy a vehicle in this segment to drive it like they stole it.

It's also got two key reliability issues that remain unresolved (and Nissan is not at all open about them, leading to a PR nightmare). Those are the CVT and the seat sensor for the passenger's side air bag. The latter has had at least one recall issued for it, but that hasn't proven absolutely effective for many. The transmission is a weak spot too -- many (myself included) have had to have theirs replaced outright, or major driveline components replaced as well. Though this is covered under warranty, it is a MAJOR repair in that the entire transaxle/engine assembly has to be dropped and reinstalled. Though there are plenty of competent dealers out there, it is subject to human error (and there's a significant chance that something won't be reinstalled correctly or as well as it was from the factory). Who in their right mind wants to deal with that in a new car, let alone one that they transport their family in?

For me, it came down to not trusting it. There were many aspects to the car that I absolutely loved, and it's a fantastic value in the segment too. There are a number of features that my 2013 SL Premium had that my Highlander XLE doesn't, but at the end of the day, I'm fairly confident that I won't have to deal with major mechanical problems -- and that peace of mind is worth the extra cost.

Good luck to you in your search and I wish you all the best.

Current: 2016 Toyota Highlander XLE in Predawn Gray Mica with Ash leather

Former: 2013 Nissan Pathfinder SL Premium in Dark Slate with Charcoal leather

2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium in Venetian Red Pearl with Black cloth interior
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Just my 0.02c,
it is basically a luck of the draw. I have a 2013 Pathfinder manufactured in Dec, 2012 and I am planning to keep it for awhile. Apart from some stupid things like the kickplate light flickering, the interior fan sometimes making a little noise because it sucked some leaves in it - it's a really nice car and easy to maintain.

The passenger seat light issue is easy to fix - just make sure that the passenger always sits when you are in PARK and you will never have the passenger light issue (not a big deal anyway). Stopping and restarting the car will also always fix it - I think there is something in the software that doesn't run the "is passenger there?" check as often as it is should. I gave the solution to that problem on this forum. The CVT is the only variable on this car that is the luck of the draw...

* 2013 Pathfinder SL w/ Premium
* 2002 BMW 325xi

Last edited by sparky2708; 12-08-2015 at 11:09 AM.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky2708 View Post
Just my 0.02c,
it is basically a luck of the draw. I have a 2013 Pathfinder manufactured in Dec, 2012 and I am planning to keep it for awhile. Apart from some stupid things like the kickplate light flickering, the interior fan sometimes making a little noise because it sucked some leaves in it - it's a really nice car and easy to maintain.

The passenger seat light issue is easy to fix - just make sure that the passenger always sits when you are in PARK and you will never have the passenger light issue (not a big deal anyway). Stopping and restarting the car will also always fix it - I think there is something in the software that doesn't run the "is passenger there?" check as often as it is should. I gave the solution to that problem on this forum. The CVT is the only variable on this car that is the luck of the draw...
For what it's worth, I've had many situations where the light would turn on randomly during driving, with a passenger in the seat. Yes, you can "reset" it by turning the car off and on, but when that light is on, the airbag is not... so that's a pretty major issue and one I've never seen on any other modern car I've owned. Clearly I'm not alone in this, as we've had others report it too - many of which have had their entire seat frame replaced, amongst other items. And of course, Nissan is silent about it, aside from the NHTSA-mandated recall, which was clearly ineffective.

You'll notice that I didn't comment on the other chronic quality problems that are by-and-large cosmetic or rare -- including the hood flutter, the rear door catching and popping while opening, the trim pulling away at the roof rack, and various reports of leaking around the sunroof and roof rails. But if there's a significant trend on a safety-related issue, it's worth noting to someone who is doing their due diligence in shopping the segment.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
If you like the vehicle and are aware of the situation then you should have the final call.

It is better to know what is broken rather then find it out by yourself.

We bought the 2015 SL with Tech in last November full aware of the CVT issue. We still went ahead and bought it because we Love it compare to Highlander or wait for the all new Pilot. I've been linger on here for awhile, read a lot of topics and exhausted my researches. We are lucky to have no issue with the CVT passing 15k mark, but do have issue with the temperature setting.

You can run away from one thing but there many other things you can't avoid. For me, it's better to know and prepare for it then getting hit in the face. If you look hard enough, Everything will have defects. It's how you choose to deal with it or not that's count.

Send from pigeon mail...
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
For what it's worth, I've had many situations where the light would turn on randomly during driving, with a passenger in the seat. Yes, you can "reset" it by turning the car off and on, but when that light is on, the airbag is not... so that's a pretty major issue and one I've never seen on any other modern car I've owned. Clearly I'm not alone in this, as we've had others report it too - many of which have had their entire seat frame replaced, amongst other items. And of course, Nissan is silent about it, aside from the NHTSA-mandated recall, which was clearly ineffective.

You'll notice that I didn't comment on the other chronic quality problems that are by-and-large cosmetic or rare -- including the hood flutter, the rear door catching and popping while opening, the trim pulling away at the roof rack, and various reports of leaking around the sunroof and roof rails. But if there's a significant trend on a safety-related issue, it's worth noting to someone who is doing their due diligence in shopping the segment.

I guess yours is a little different. I agree with you that it is a serious problem if the Airbag light comes on and off while you are driving. That NEVER happened on mine - it was sometimes on when I started the car and someone was sitting in the passenger seat but it would never change its state when driving which is why I always thought it was minor as I could always get it in the right state before I started moving. In your case it is a problem.

Yes, this car has a lot of small problems, the fan rattle, the trim coming off, the hood vibrating in the wind. This isn't a BMW or Lexus (but that is a good thing -- see below) - this car is cheaply made but the positive side of this is that everything is VERY cheap to fix. All pretty easy to pop back in yourself or pull and put back.

Having said that, I do have an extended warranty on this car because of my experience with my BMW. Just for perspective sake, my BMW, when it was 3 years old already had its transmission replaced because it failed and more leaks of some fluid or another than you can imagine all of which would have been a small fortune to fix if not for the warranty. All routine maintenance like brake service or regular maintenance is also about 3x that of Nissan. Having kept the BMW for 13 years now the problems all repeat but at least I have seen them all by now so I know how to fix most of them or how much it would cost if I'm too lazy to do it. All the Pathfinder problems during the same time frame were jokes.

* 2013 Pathfinder SL w/ Premium
* 2002 BMW 325xi

Last edited by sparky2708; 12-08-2015 at 01:25 PM.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky2708 View Post
I guess yours is a little different. I agree with you that it is a serious problem if the Airbag light comes on and off while you are driving. That NEVER happened on mine - it was sometimes on when I started the car and someone was sitting in the passenger seat but it would never change its state when driving which is why I always thought it was minor as I could always get it in the right state before I started moving. In your case it is a problem.

Yes, this car has a lot of small problems, the fan rattle, the trim coming off, the hood vibrating in the wind. This isn't a BMW or Lexus (but that is a good thing -- see below) - this car is cheaply made but the positive side of this is that everything is VERY cheap to fix. All pretty easy to pop back in yourself or pull and put back.

Having said that, I do have an extended warranty on this car because of my experience with my BMW. Just for perspective sake, my BMW, when it was 3 years old already had its transmission replaced because it failed and more leaks of some fluid or another than you can imagine all of which would have been a small fortune to fix if not for the warranty. All routine maintenance like brake service or regular maintenance is also about 3x that of Nissan. Having kept the BMW for 13 years now the problems all repeat but at least I have seen them all by now so I know how to fix most of them or how much it would cost if I'm too lazy to do it. All the Pathfinder problems during the same time frame were jokes.
To put my comments in context, I'm holding the Pathfinder to the same standard as the predecessors I've owned in the past. Specifically, a 2005 and then a 2010 Honda Pilot. Neither of those vehicles had any problems whatsoever. I'm guessing that's where our experience differs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Pathfinder Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page