Sonar Off - Nissan Pathfinder Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sonar Off

Hi, I'm a new member. I just discovered this website and it looks very useful. I see issues here that I also have noticed with my 2013 Pathfinder. I was unable to get an answer to this question from the Owner's Manual or on the Internet. I used to get beeps when in Reverse and close to an object. One day I noticed the message on the screen in front of me "Sonar Off" and I no longer get the beeping when backing up. I did not intentionally shut it off. I can't figure out how to reset it to Sonar On. I suspect using the Factory Reset button might do it but that seems a little drastic since it would change other options that I have set. Is there no simple way to get back the Sonar ? Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
From reading the manual, the sonar always resets when the car is turned off and will return to the ON setting next time. Hitting the steering wheel button to turn it off is a one shot use and will not permanently turn the sonar off, just for that moment.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Year: 2013
Trim: SL Premium Package
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UlsterBoy13 View Post
From reading the manual, the sonar always resets when the car is turned off and will return to the ON setting next time. Hitting the steering wheel button to turn it off is a one shot use and will not permanently turn the sonar off, just for that moment.
Ron, if the sonar remains off when you restart the vehicle, this is not normal behavior and you should probably have your dealer look at it. I did a search of the forum and it looks like others have had the issue you have. Please report back if you get the problem resolved.

Welcome to the forum!

• 2013 Pathfinder SL w/Premium in Brilliant Silver
    (replaces 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LT EXT)
  • 2007 BMW 530xi in Sapphire Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I am not sure why, but some of the features of the Pathfinder were very poorly documented. In the Vehicle Information display in the center of the dash (the one that displays a rotating pathfinder when you start the vehicle), page over to the settings icon all the way to the right. Select Driver Assistance, Parking Aids, Sonar. It sounds like someone accidentally turned off Sonar. Page 18 of the Quick Start Guide gives a good description of how to use the Vehicle Information Display.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Ron, my PF always displayed the Sonor Off on the front monitor, even though the sonor was on. I took it to the dealer, and no one could explain why those words showed on the screen, when the sonor was on and working.

Are you sure that your sonor isn't working? I thought mine wasn't because of the display, but it actually was. If it isn't working, you need to take it to the dealer.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The fact it is says off is not telling you it is off, its more like "if the beeping is annoying and you want to silence it immediately hit the multiwindow button" and for that backup it will not beep.

kinda poorly displayed but its not telling you it is off. back close to something (within 3 feet i think) and you should hear beeping.
cwa107 likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
When it says Sonor Off, it's actually On and just telling you that you can turn it off. Or at least that's how they explained it to me. Engineering at it finest!
cwa107 likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I agree it's very confusing. Mine says off too, and I've looked to see how to turn it on, but the manuals are very poorly written (or written for a technical person) and grossly overcomplicate things. For instance, is it really necessary for the whole huge separate manual for the navigation system? I for one will never read that.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
You can turn this function on and off from the steering wheel menu control that shows up in your cluster where the colored pathfinder image is. I turn mine off and on using that. I turn it off when I have a trailer I'm hauling because it will beep constantly if I dont
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
And unlike what was mentioned in an earlier post mine actually stays off forever till I manually switch it back on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Pathfinder Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page