USB Video - Works !!! - Nissan Pathfinder Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lightbulb USB Video - Works !!!

Finally I got it to work!

The PF USB input is very particular in terms of supported formats. Even most .avi files don't play properly, if the used codec is unsupported.

Using Mac, this works wonders:
Flv Crunch for Mac - CNET Download.com

Just make sure to select Output Format as .AVI (DivX), and the video file should play fine from the USB socket in your PF...
nissanguy, acecchetto and larry like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Great tip, this should be a sticky or be linked to in a sticky thread. If your loading video's onto a USB to watch in your pathfinder, you might as well convert those .avi files to .mp4. MP4 seems to be the standard file format for just about any smartphone and mobile video player.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Exactly, however the PF USB video player does not recognize that MP4 format. As per user manual, only .avi, .divx, .asf formats are supported for video playback. .asf seems like an aging format, divx well supported but even the divx converted files did not play, and my original .avi files neither as some unsupported coding used.
That's why I am so happy to have found this free mac utility that transcodes to the " .avi (divx) " format from virtually any other video format...

Of course you could use the AV input as well, but this is a clean solution, with the USB stick hidden away...
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
So it did not work with other AVI converters?

That is good to know. Thanks for the tip!

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD
2013 Nissan Pathfinder?!?!
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

I only tried the built in transcoders in Vuze, Handbrake and the original DivX codecs. None worked. The FL Crunch was a last desperate attempt trying to get the video playback from the USB to work, and it did. It seems even to work with a variety of frame rates and resolutions, as long as you select .avi (divx) as your output format...
Not sure about the maximum file size though, let you guys try that out....
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did this video output work for the rear monitors? or did this work on the dash monitor too? If the dash monitor worked, was it only when the car was parked with the E-brake applied?
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Different programs

Has anybody gotten any PC programs to work?
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok. I converted my movie files to avi, but it still wouldn't play. Does anyone know if the video has to be at a certain resoultion??
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uteezy View Post
Ok. I converted my movie files to avi, but it still wouldn't play. Does anyone know if the video has to be at a certain resoultion??
I don't know the specifics regarding the PF video system, but generally, when you convert movie files, and do not specify the frame size, it is not hacked. That said, if you are converting anything higher than dvd quality ( sub 500P) then the standard definition system will not accept that size. Try to convert one file to 800X600. That is one of the most widely used resolution, and will fit tablets....and many other video playback systems.

Erling
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Resolution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
I don't know the specifics regarding the PF video system, but generally, when you convert movie files, and do not specify the frame size, it is not hacked. That said, if you are converting anything higher than dvd quality ( sub 500P) then the standard definition system will not accept that size. Try to convert one file to 800X600. That is one of the most widely used resolution, and will fit tablets....and many other video playback systems.

Erling
The PF user manual states resolutions from 32x32 to 720x480 are supported (page 4-74). I have fiddled around with these setting and found that the ipod preset works rather well. Also, any reasonable frame rate works for me, 20-30 should be ok, or unchanged. However, remember the USB stick has to be formatted in FAT32. Sometimes, the PF systems states the file(s) are unplayable, but mostly a cycle of ignition off - on seems to solve that issue. So far only tried with one USB stick 2GB I had around, but I guess if you have issues you can always try another stick.

And this only works for the rear screens, unless the Park brake is on. In this case the video shows up on the front center screen as well. Works well, IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Pathfinder Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page