post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2016
Trim: S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Upgrade 2016S stereo

I hope this post will be of benefit to others. I am starting with a 2016 Pathfinder S. It had the "orange" Radio & A/C screen up top, A/C controls in the middle and the non-Bose radio at the bottom.

I'm going to detail the installation of a Kenwood Excelon DNX893S, including steering wheel controls, front/rear cameras and associated gear. I'll try and explain how I mounted that unit between the upper air vents and moved the stock screen to the former location of the stock radio. I know others have done similar installs, but I did not find anyone who detailed the wires, colors, locations, etc for the '16 model year.

More to come... I'll be posting photos and a shopping list of needed items soon.
dcjamies and darkmeth like this.

David, Central Florida
2016 Pathfinder S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:31 AM

Year: 2017
Trim: SL
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lightbulb

Looking forward to learning more about your configuration and approach. FWIW - you can find the wire diagrams in the Nissan Service Manual for the 2016 PF. Might save you some time if you can get your hands on one.

2017 Pathfinder SL - Non-Bose (Magnetic Black)
Upgrades:
  • Direct wired radar detector
  • Rearview mirror radar detector mount
  • Lumar ceramic window film (black)
  • Body paint protection (door edges & handles)
  • No tabs plate holder (black)
  • Custom My Plates (black)
  • HIKARI LED headlight bulbs
  • Accent lighting LED conversion
  • All-Weather rubber mats
  • All-Weather rubber cargo area cover
  • JBL speaker upgrade
  • Drag DR67 (flat black) aftermarket wheels
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just to clarify -- I'm almost finished with the project. Couldn't be happier. It took me about a week to get it all done. Here's a pic of the nearly finished dash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg final.jpg (95.1 KB, 45 views)
knicks and darkmeth like this.

David, Central Florida
2016 Pathfinder S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Looks great! Lotso work though.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Starting with backup camera...
I bought an "Esky, 170 Viewing Angle, License Plate Frame" from Amazon. It comes with a 20' video cable. That's not enough. I chose to put a female-female RCA connector in the line and added 6ft (the connector will be somewhere around the passenger kick panel).
Remove the big plastic cover (lower half of hatch), the passenger side trim around the rear glass as well as the upper trim. It's all pretty simple to get off. My goal was to thread the video cable through the rubber boot. (See image). Once you have access to the boot, I took a heavy wire (think metal clothes hanger) and used it to fish the video cable through the boot, through the hatch and to the backup camera. Trust me... easier said than done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rubber.JPG (353.9 KB, 28 views)

David, Central Florida
2016 Pathfinder S
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
You'll need M6 bolts to attach the frame. I removed the stock plastic inserts at the top and drilled two holes for the bottom. I made the passenger side top hole slightly larger so both the bolt and the camera wire could go through. Paint or otherwise protect the raw metal and bolt the frame and plate down. The camera needs power so you'll see where I tapped into the reverse light -- green wire for the positive feed. Note the negative wire for the camera is attached to the existing ground bolt (upper right). I soldered, then used liquid tape to protect the connection. At this point, zip tie everything together, pull the video cable almost snug and put all the trim back on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reverse signal2.JPG (347.4 KB, 24 views)

David, Central Florida
2016 Pathfinder S
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Remove the rear side panel. It's going to take some effort to use your heavy wire (metal clothes hanger) and manipulate the video cable through the small hole in the roof, between the headliner and down to where you can grab it. Just be patient.
Once you get the video cable, you're almost there. Behind the side panel, under the two door sills, up to the front. Near the front (if you have the 20' cable) you'll need the female-female adapter. Based on how I ran the wire, the connection is not quite to the glovebox. Tape the connector so it doesn't loosen over time.
Put all the trim back together. Pop the rubber boot back in place.

David, Central Florida
2016 Pathfinder S
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Depending on your radio, you may need a reverse signal. I spent hours taking the dash apart and trying a variety of pins on the BCM (Body Control Module). I also tried to find a signal in the bundle coming up from the actual gearshift. I gave up.
Do this instead. Remove the driver's side door sill. Open the loom and look for the brown wires. Test to make certain you have the correct one. See the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reverse wire.jpg (111.9 KB, 22 views)

David, Central Florida
2016 Pathfinder S
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Remove the A/C controls then the stock "orange" screen. I knew that I wanted the orange screen to only show A/C and I wanted it low. The factory wiring is not long enough for that to happen.
This is the point of no return -- cut and splice. I added 8" to every wire that was connected to the screen (both for the A/C and Radio readouts). Solder, heat shrink. Every wire. Go slow! Make sure 8" is enough for your particular vehicle.
This may void your warranty. In fact, anything that I've mentioned so far or to come may void your warranty. Do it at your own risk!

David, Central Florida
2016 Pathfinder S
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I wanted the orange screen low and tilted slightly -- both up and towards the driver. I bought a Metra kit "99-7626HG" from Amazon. Remove the stock radio at this point. I took the two plastic side brackets included in the Metra kit and first attached the lower single din "pocket" (Included from Metra). Then, remove the metal brackets holding the orange screen together. Remove the clear plastic lens. I took black electrical tape and covered shiny metal on the actual screen and replaced the lens. By trial and error I found the angle I wanted and attached the orange screen to the Metra side brackets. There are two images shown. The thin wire holds the clear plastic lens in place. The foam pads close the gap due to the tilt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front of lower screen.JPG (557.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg side of lower screen.JPG (537.1 KB, 20 views)

David, Central Florida
2016 Pathfinder S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Pathfinder Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page