Fog Lights Installation question/thread - Nissan Pathfinder Forum
 6Likes

post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Fog Lights Installation question/thread

Okay, my fog lights should be coming in any minute now. I have reviewed the installation instructions for the 2013 Pathfinder and they are making more and more sense and they don't seem that hard to do. Just bunch of screws to undo and put back together. The question that I do have is related to taking off the Combination Switch. Currently, without fog lights, when I place the indicator on the fog light selection, my headlights have a dimmed look. I am wondering if there is just a possibility of my SUV being 'pre-wired' for fog lights, so maybe a plug and play option would work out to where I install the fog lights, and wont have to worry about combo switch and it would work? any experience with this?

If i have never done this before, should I just take it to the dealer for installation?

***http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/asist...5C1TU15.PDF***

FIG. 25 is in question...it states to install the 'new' combo switch...mine seems to be okay the way it is. It has a fog light selection, and it seems to be pre-wired, if i do not want a new combo switch, couldnt i just skip this step and not worry about it? just plug and play as i would actually like as far as the fog lights are concerned?

Last edited by Yazz; 09-30-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

ignore everything up there...a youtube video enlightened me and now i wish i could figure out how to delete this question
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Did your Pathfinder come with a fog light switch on the left steering stalk, but without the actual fog lights installed? Sounds like a dealer goof-up to me!

Word of warning: It is extremely difficult to get both clips and both screws to align, especially with the tight space. Actually, it wasn't at all difficult until I went to put in the second screw and realized I was about half an inch away from the hole. You just don't have enough room to get two hands in there, so you have to use the hand holding the screw and screwdriver to also align the opening with the hole.

I'd recommend a headlamp to help you see and a magnetic screwdriver. That last screw took over an hour on each side. Also, you may want to poke a screwdriver through the metal clips to make them easier to attach.

Anything you can do to give yourself extra space to work will be helpful too. There is only about 8" of clearance to work with under the front bumper. I don't have ramps, and did it with the car on level ground, so it is possible... but I have the bruises to prove it. If you can't get ramps, maybe try to find an empty parking lot with a curb and a narrow handicap ramp. Park the front tires on the edge of the curb and slide under where the dip in the curb is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcline414 View Post
Did your Pathfinder come with a fog light switch on the left steering stalk, but without the actual fog lights installed? Sounds like a dealer goof-up to me!

Word of warning: It is extremely difficult to get both clips and both screws to align, especially with the tight space. Actually, it wasn't at all difficult until I went to put in the second screw and realized I was about half an inch away from the hole. You just don't have enough room to get two hands in there, so you have to use the hand holding the screw and screwdriver to also align the opening with the hole.

I'd recommend a headlamp to help you see and a magnetic screwdriver. That last screw took over an hour on each side. Also, you may want to poke a screwdriver through the metal clips to make them easier to attach.

Anything you can do to give yourself extra space to work will be helpful too. There is only about 8" of clearance to work with under the front bumper. I don't have ramps, and did it with the car on level ground, so it is possible... but I have the bruises to prove it. If you can't get ramps, maybe try to find an empty parking lot with a curb and a narrow handicap ramp. Park the front tires on the edge of the curb and slide under where the dip in the curb is.
oh man thank you for your input! I was really hoping for someone to have attempted this and give me their input on the entire process.

What clips and screws are you talking about by the way?

I am mainly concerned about the electrical thing and all that crap. Never disconnected a battery before to work on something like it, but seems pretty straightforward overall. I guess I will have some bruises too, i dont have anything to lift the car up, so i'll have to do it just like you have.

What's all that jazz about shipping mode vs customer mode? is the car in customer mode as a default? do i have to do anything there?
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
What clips and screws are you talking about by the way?
There are two metal pins on each side that you attach to plastic tabs near the opening on the inside of the bumper. These slide into female clips that come already mounted on the plates that hold the fog lights in position:

I found them to be impossible to insert with any amount of pressure, and was worried I would break the plastic tabs. Stretching the prongs in the female clip made it possible to attach them, and they still felt quite secure.

Quote:
What's all that jazz about shipping mode vs customer mode? is the car in customer mode as a default? do i have to do anything there?
It's at the beginning of every accessory installation guide, but doesn't really apply. It's a pop-up breaker in the cabin fuse box, which you don't even go into for fog light installation. It should have been set to customer mode by the dealer before they delivered the car to you.

As for the battery, I didn't disconnect mine and it was fine. I did disconnect it to install the accessory harness for my homelink mirror, and it wasn't too difficult to disconnect or reconnect the negative battery connector.

Let me know if you have any other questions--it's much easier to clarify things before than when you're in the middle with your arm and head halfway inside the bumper!
Yazz likes this.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 11:10 AM

One more thing... The bulb does not sit flush against the reflector when fully inserted. I wasted a ton of time trying to get the first one tighter, but finally realized that the 1/4" gap must be intentional. It seemed like it would look horrible at first, but once installation is complete the gap is not very noticeable.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
When it comes to bolt on installs like this I would attempt to do it yourself.

if you really get stuck then you could try to pay someone to do it.

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD
2013 Nissan Pathfinder?!?!
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcline414 View Post
There are two metal pins on each side that you attach to plastic tabs near the opening on the inside of the bumper. These slide into female clips that come already mounted on the plates that hold the fog lights in position:

I found them to be impossible to insert with any amount of pressure, and was worried I would break the plastic tabs. Stretching the prongs in the female clip made it possible to attach them, and they still felt quite secure.

It's at the beginning of every accessory installation guide, but doesn't really apply. It's a pop-up breaker in the cabin fuse box, which you don't even go into for fog light installation. It should have been set to customer mode by the dealer before they delivered the car to you.

As for the battery, I didn't disconnect mine and it was fine. I did disconnect it to install the accessory harness for my homelink mirror, and it wasn't too difficult to disconnect or reconnect the negative battery connector.

Let me know if you have any other questions--it's much easier to clarify things before than when you're in the middle with your arm and head halfway inside the bumper!

I sir vote you as President of Pathfinder Nation, you got my vote!

Thank you for giving me a heads up on the things that would make me panic. I thankfully looked at bunch of pictures and all that jazz to know there is supposed to be a tiny gap between it (which i personally didnt like either but can't complain I guess)...you also pretty much told me not to worry about the things that worried me the most. I thought you don't have to but I did take a look at the battery disconnection and it does not seem hard at all. I may do it or not, i'll just remove the clips and start my install and have my friend do the other side at the same time. How hard was it to remove that plastic thing under the bumper? I know those bolts can be a pain, I guess you just pry them out with pressure?
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrp View Post
When it comes to bolt on installs like this I would attempt to do it yourself.

if you really get stuck then you could try to pay someone to do it.
I got two of my friends painting/doing stuff to their vehicles that day so if I get stuck I get to scream HELPPPPPPP!!!!!! lol
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
I got two of my friends painting/doing stuff to their vehicles that day so if I get stuck I get to scream HELPPPPPPP!!!!!! lol
Yeah it always helps to have some friends near by to help
Some of us just arent as mechanically inclined as others, or just sometimes we need some elbow grease haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Pathfinder Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page