Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

Turn Off Engine but Keep Stereo Playing

108K views 38 replies 25 participants last post by  eruby 
#1 ·
On my Murano and Juke I can press the engine start button twice quickly to turn the engine off and place the car in accessory mode. The stereo will continue to play without interruption. This doesn't seem to work on my 2014 Pathfinder.

I really miss this feature. Does anyone know if there's a trick to accomplish this in the Pathfinder?

#2 ·
What does the pathfinder do differently? Pressing the button when the car is running turns it off, and pressing again (without applying the brake) turns on accessory mode. A third press would turn the car "on" without starting it.

Is the pathfinder just slower turning off and back on than your other Nissan vehicles when the button is pressed twice?

#3 ·
With the other Nissan vehicles when you press the button twice quickly to turn off the engine the stereo does not stop playing. It's just like in a car with a key ignition. You move the key from On to Acc, the engine stops but everything else stays on. In the Pathfinder the stereo turns off. Then you have to wait 5 or more seconds for the system to reboot.

It wouldn't seem so annoying if I hadn't experienced how it works in the Murano and Juke.

#5 ·
I liked that feature in my Murano as well. Especially if at the gas station and a good song was on, or listening to a game. I haven't been able to do it in the PF either.

#9 ·
Great idea, but didn't work turning the car off in neutral or in gear. Guess if it's a big enough deal you could add a small capacitor that supplies power for a few seconds after the car is turned off, so then you could turn the car to accessory mode before the radio lost power.

#10 ·
This really sucks. Why can't you go straight to accessory mode?? I noticed this while on a meeting over bluetooth.. as soon as I turned the car off, I lost the bluetooth, and had to hit the button again and wait. Also sucks because my kid's dvd in the back stops playing, and the outlets power down. I was hoping Nissan would put a proper accessory mode that shuts off when the doors open like every other friggin car manufacturer. First grief with my new 2014..

#11 ·
The PF is the first vehicle I own with button start. Past cars, Ford Sport Trac and Sienna, had to turn the key past off position to turn on auxiliary power (accessory mode) so all electronics plugged in would turn off. So I find it interesting that Nissan had it figured out for the Murano and Juke but didn't implement that feature for the PF.

#15 ·
I don't know if there's something like it for the Pathfinder, but Mazda cars with push button start have a configuration setting that you can toggle to change the start button's behavior. It can only be done at the stealership with their "special" computers hooked up to the car:

Setting 1: With the vehicle running, a push of the start button will turn it completely off (Default setting)
Setting 2: With the vehicle running, a push of the start button will move it to the ACC position, a second push will turn it completely off

You can see how setting 2 might become annoying when you just want to turn off the vehicle and get out since you'll have to push twice, but some people actually prefer it that way...

May be something like that can be configured by the dealership? I've never asked, and in my previous experience Mazda dealerships didn't know about this feature until I pointed it out to them in the owner's manual.

#19 ·
Based on the attachment, it looks like if you hold down the start/stop button it will go to ACC. However, it looks like that also engages Emergency Stop mode. Not sure what that entails. Anyone willing to try and report back what happens (if anything)?

#23 ·
Just another retarded thing this gen Pathfinder doesn't do right. I tried mine and no luck either. My Murano worked just fine , it was a 2011 model year.

#31 ·
This bugs me too. I have to sit there with the engine running either on a phone call or listening to something on the radio as it drops out completely when I hit the button off. Hitting it again seems to take an inordinate amount of time and sometimes it doesn't do anything. I know it's nice to say it's not big deal, first world problems etc but there is no reason why every other car I've ever driven with button start can do it and this one can't.

Shuddering transmission is a bigger fish to fry I'll admit though.

#32 ·
I also just experienced this in an embarrassing way.
I was on a conference call (using BT) and pulled into driveway and shut off the car.
The call stopped (or so I though), and I had few choice words about it.
Meanwhile people on the other end could hear it thru my cargo pants pocket.

This is just stupid. Why would you not want to keep the radio on or be able to pull to the side of the road to continue phone conversation without keeping the engine running?
I can see at least a dozen scenarios where this would be handy.

The car already does the easy exit on door open, just tie the radio with it -- that's what my '05 Tahoe did and after driving it for 10 years, it seems like going backwards to me (strictly speaking of this specific issue).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.