Pathfinder CVT Shuddering/Jerking Problem - Nissan Pathfinder Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pathfinder CVT Shuddering/Jerking Problem

Members on the forum have recently reported problems with the CVT transmission and this thread will be dedicated to reporting these problems, what the dealerships are saying, and how the shuddering can be fixed.

Unfortunately, the transmission jerking/shuddering problem has been ongoing in the Nissan Pathfinder and owners have been lodging complaints about it since 2013. There’s actually around 59 reports regarding the issue on CarComplaints since then, but Nissan has not issued a recall for the CVT transmission.

According to the National highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), a recall is necessary when a vehicle or a part of the vehicle does not comply with a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard or when there is a safety related defect. We do not know if the CVT shuddering/jerking falls into either of these categories, but the dealerships themselves may have a solution without the need of a recall. Super moderator jman’s Pathfinder shuddered a bit and it was fixed with a replacement valve body.

If Nissan cannot fix the problem no matter what they do and the shuddering and jerking transmissions is becoming a safety hazard, owners can report the safety problem to the NHTSA if there is no recourse. There’s no guarantee that a recall will result from their investigation, but the NHTSA will have the problem on file.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
You forgot to mention that another recourse is to force Nissan to buy back the defective vehicle under the lemon-law statute in the owner's jurisdiction. Strict criteria need to be met. In the USA, the Better Business Bureau can also assist owners with mediation.

• 2013 Pathfinder SL w/Premium in Brilliant Silver
    (replaces 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LT EXT)
  • 2007 BMW 530xi in Sapphire Black
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 09:41 PM

Hello, Our 2013 Pathfinder is at the dealer right now because the transmission would not allow us to accelerate. The battery was also drained and power steering would go if I attempted to continue on for a few minutes.

We replaced the battery but it happened again while my mother-in-law was taking our 8month old to a doctor appt!! The dealer said there is a brand new recall. Date on it says 12/6/2016:
Quote:
NISSAN ID: PC500
CVT JUDDER PATHFINDER
2013 NISSAN PATHFINDER SV
EFFECTIVE DATE: December 06, 2016

SUMMARY
This diagnostic software update will enhance the dealer?s ability to better diagnose and service the CVT by including two new Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) and enhanced active test capabilities for CONSULT-III.
In addition to the installation of diagnostic software, Nissan will also extend the warranty coverage on the CVT assembly (including internal CVT components, gaskets, and seals), CVT control valve body, and torque converter from its original duration of 60 months/60,000 miles to 84 months/84,000 miles (whoever occurs first). Coverage of other vehicle components remains unchanged, and all other terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions of Nissan?s New Vehicle Limited Warranty continue to apply. This CVT warranty extension is being provided as a customer satisfaction effort to address customer concerns; including those concerns expressed by the plaintiffs in class action litigation, and is subject to final approval of the settlement of that litigation. Prior to final approval, Nissan will make any necessary repairs that would be covered under the extended CVT warranty.

REMEDY
Dealers should install the updated CVT software in vehicles identified in Service Comm with I.D. PC500. No additional diagnosis or repair is required unless the customer indicated they have concerns about CVT operation during the interview process.
It should take approximately 1 hour to reprogram the Continually Variable Transmission (?CVT?) software.

Anyone have experience with this issue and/or recall?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Garage
Can you please share the source of that information?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 06:57 PM

Garage
I was the first att my dealership to get it started. No paperwork to sign BUT they did say my current work order was left open, (oil change and new tires), and I would sign it when it, the TB, came in. I was asked some pretty tricky questions so be careful how you respond. No paperwork in my mail yet either. The recall does show on their website but with NO DETAILS.

My Pathfinder had a software update to add new codes A LONG TIME AGO. When they checked for the codes they were definitely there, so they asked if I felt the judder and I said, yes, something had changed. That's when they said they would order a new TB. Notice the recall verbiage of "interview process"...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Rena Goodwin; 12-08-2016 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Incomplete information
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 02:09 PM

Took my Pathfinder in for a routine oil change. Dealer checked the code and got DTC P17F1. They gave me a courtesy vehicle and had to keep my SUV to replace the control valve. Took 3 days due to a missing part (some sort of gasket). Just got it back today and the work sheet says:

PATHFINDER CVT INSPECTION NTB16-120. Customer request to perform recall PC500.
Performed PC500. Retrieved DTC P17F1. Inspected CVT chains no problem found. Replaced control valve with new Nissan replacement. Refilled system with NS3. Performed write IP characteristics. Performed TCM update to new software. Adjusted CVT fluid to correct level. Test drove vehicle. Vehicle OAD at this moment.

My 2014 (one of the earliest build for that model year) never really exhibited any of the classic "shudder" problem (maybe mildly once). They obviously did the update a while back to the transmission to capture the code. I never really felt it, but obviously the computer says otherwise. If you believe the worksheet, they updated the computer yet again to a "new" software.

There were no mention of extending the transmission warranty to 84 month/84K miles. In fact, the service advisor just said the standard 60 month/60K miles warranty remains.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage
Does anyone have a copy of NTB16120 or NTB16109 which they can share ???

Subject: CP 2013-2014 Pathfinder; CVT Voluntary Service Campaign
Summary of NTB16120:
INTRODUCTION Nissan is conducting this voluntary service campaign on certain specific 2013-2014 Pathfinder vehicles to reprogram the TCM and, if needed, inspect and replace the CVT or CVT control valve.

or

Subject: SB Nissan; Information to Prevent CVT Replacement Due to Misdiagnosis
Summary of NTB16109:
SERVICE INFORMATION With the engine running and the vehicle on a hoist, noise heard from the CVT may be louder (in Park, Neutral, Drive, or Reverse) than a non-CVT type transmission. CVT transmissions are much louder without drive load

Just had the valve body replaced on mine today, feels different to drive, but i think they over inflated the tyres !

About a week ago when i took it in for the shudder i think they did NTB16109, because they were testing it out on the hoist and it was when the car was on the hoist that they were able to easily reproduce the shudder. Prior to that i couldn't reproduce it on my drive to the dealer to get it looked at.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
What is involved in the control valve replacement? Do they have to pull the engine and CVT to do so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Pathfinder Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page