PathFinder tow capacity with passengers? - Nissan Pathfinder Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PathFinder tow capacity with passengers?

Let assume that I have 7 people (170 pounders) sited in my PF 2015 4WD, does the 5,000 pounds tow capacity still holds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The way tow ratings work is this:

Your vehicle has a max GVWR (vehicle plus payload inside vehicle), and GCVWR (vehicle plus payload plus towed load).

That is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, and Gross COMBINED Vehicle Weight Rating.

The 5k Max tow rating is dependent upon your GCVWR and GVWR. That is, your max towing weight is directly influenced by the weight of the vehicle, the passengers, fuel, everything.

Tow rating is GCVWR - ACTUAL VEHICLE WEIGHT = amount left over to tow. If you want to do it correctly, you'd weigh your vehicle ready to go before hooking up a trailer and see what weight you legally have left to tow with. Vehicle options, passengers, cargo.. all effect your vehicle weight. A loaded Platinum will have less capacity left to hit that maximum tow rating, because the vehicle itself weighs more and uses up more of the GCVWR. It may not even have enough capactiy left to even tow 5k. You have to weigh your specific vehicle to find out your specific weight capabilities, as every vehicle is differently optioned.

Don't forget that 10%ish of the trailer weight is tongue weight, and that comes off the vehicle's payload capacity. 15-20% if using weight distribution.

So, if you have 7 people @ 170lbs each, you're already at 1,190 lbs payload. 5k trailer would add another 500 lbs minimum to the payload. I'm willing to bet that would be over the max payload of the pathfinder before anything else.

edit: my 2017 has a payload capacity of 1149lbs.. So passengers alone is over capacity, not including anything else..And I believe 2016 and down is lower than the 17's.

Last edited by ummduh; 12-25-2016 at 04:12 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
edit 2: GVWR and GCVWR of my 17 from the owner's manual is as follows:

GVWR is 5986
GCVWR is 10,000.

So let's assume I'm at max payload and my vehicle weighs the full 5986.. Forgetting about the tongue weight for the time being, 10,000 - 5986= 4014.

I really can only tow 4,014 lbs at max payload. But I can't really do that, because I don't have any payload left for the 10% tongue weight on the vehicle. We'd have to kick out at 400lbs of passengers to accommodate the tongue weight.

Also, a note from the owner's manual "The towing capacity values are calculated assuming a base vehicle with driver and any options required to achieve the rating. Additional passengers, cargo and/or optional equipment will add weight to the vehicle and reduce your vehicle's maximum towing capacity."

Last edited by ummduh; 12-25-2016 at 04:20 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for you answer. Mine is 2015 path finder. I got a 3,800 camper (passport 38ml same as a couple of folks in this forum got). I am traveling water dry and just propane with basic clothing items, food, laptop and bed covers. My wife is 140 pounds, I am 180 pounds and at most 100 pounds of kids and stroller. Also to mention that I drive like a grampa always very careful just at the speed limit.

Driving it from the dealer was a breeze and first camping (not very far) was also good

I was asking in case that my inlaws and family (3 x ~175 pounds) come to visit but I guess they will have to drive their own vehicle.

Last edited by mcline; 01-15-2017 at 10:36 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Year: 2013
Trim: SL Premium Package
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
If I'm understanding you correctly, 7 passengers + gear + trailer might be pushing it a bit (not to mention how cramped it would be).

• 2013 Pathfinder SL w/Premium in Brilliant Silver
    (replaces 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LT EXT)
  • 2007 BMW 530xi in Sapphire Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Pathfinder Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page