Can a path finder 2015 tow this camper? - Nissan Pathfinder Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can a path finder 2015 tow this camper?

Hi

Can my NISSAN PF 2015 4WD tow the following camper "2017 Dutchmen Aspen Trail 1930RDWE"?

I feel it is going to be a stretch.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm going to go with NO.

It has an "average shipping weight" of 4,170 lbs, and a payload capacity of over 3k. You would be able to move it empty and dry, but if you ever actually put stuff in it, you'd be very over weight in a hurry.

Unfortunately, by your posts it seems your vehicle doesn't really fit your goals. You're squarely into Suburban/Expedition territory with what you want to do.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I say yes, but you will be limited to how much weight you can add with camper cargo and passenger cargo. There seems to be similar floor plans out there for a few hundred pounds lighter. You will get many different answers, but figure between 500 - 1000 lbs cargo added to the dry weight, depending on you and how you camp.

Our camper is about 3800 lbs dry and loaded up we are close to the limit. At one campground, I saw a PF towing an even heavier camper than ours and the guy came up to me happy to see another PF being used to tow. He seemed content towing and had even taken some serious multi-state trips with his camper. We go about 250 miles max to camp.

There are lots of discussions on this topic and many more on camper forums regarding how much a tow vehicle can tow, what can tow what, etc. Some people will tell you you'll be ok, many others will tell you anything less than a full size truck to tow is crazy. In my opinion, keep everything under the rated limits of the vehicle and expect to drive very carefully when towing and you will be fine. Those limits are towing capacity, tongue weight, axle weights and overall weight. You'll need a special scale for the tongue weight and all the other weights can be measured at a vehicle scale. I did mine at a truck stop on one of our first trips with the family and camper all loaded up. I also swear that the weight distributing hitch is a must and has to be dialed in properly, as well as the brake controller set up properly. Unfortunately, this process take patience and time, and can be a lot of trial and error. I think I broke down and set up my hitch 3 times before I was really happy with how the PF felt towing the camper. Anyways, good luck.

Last edited by gotime88; 12-25-2016 at 10:51 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
In another thread he also stated he wanted to carry 7 passengers while towing.. @ 170lbs per passenger. I don't have a guide other than my '17, but at full payload I can't tow anything, because there is no payload left for the tongue weight.

I'll say that a LOT of people have no idea what anything weighs.. They just see "Tows up to 6,000 lbs" and then stop reading.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for you answer. I was just curious about the passenger part; we are actually a family of 3.
I ended up buying a 4000lb trailer. My PF did great on the first trip. i don't load too much stuff into it. I drive like a grandpa thou but that is regardless of having a trailer or not
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

3,800 punds to be exact
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Pathfinder Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page