2015 platinum - Nissan Pathfinder Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
2015 platinum

came with a white plastic connector with wires, sitting in the glove box. I know it's something towing related. What is this and what does it connect to on my hypothetical trailer?

The platinum has the hitch and the covered up 7 wire plug already installed from the factory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
that should be for the electric brake controller. the plastic connector plugs in somewhere under the dash (owners manual) and the wires connect to whichever brand electric brake controller you buy per the instruction manual. the hardest part is finding a good spot to mount the controller so out of the way of your knees and accessible and be able to adjust it for level.

location...Western Washington (state not district)
Other vehicles
2010 Jetta diesel....everyday commuter
2001 suburban...RV vehicle
'56 Buick Special...dad bought new, pulled out back field and rebuilt early '90s
'46 Luscombe... RIP...looking for replacement
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Year: 2013
Trim: SL Premium Package
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Just to further the excellent explanation above, a brake controller is necessary if the hypothetical trailer you tow has electric brakes and you want to be able to dictate how the trailer responds when you apply your brakes. If you tow a small utility trailer for dump runs, say, the brake controller would not be necessary.

• 2013 Pathfinder SL w/Premium in Brilliant Silver
    (replaces 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LT EXT)
  • 2007 BMW 530xi in Sapphire Black

Last edited by JayArras; 10-24-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Ah thank you. And then the trailer itself just plugs in outside to my covered up big plug so there's wiring from "under the dash where my controller would go" to the outside plug...

A UHaul 5x8 trailer doesn't mention brakes, but the 6x12 trailer has a surge brake. So for the small trailer I would not need to add a brake controller, and for the larger one I would?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Year: 2013
Trim: SL Premium Package
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillmj24 View Post
Ah thank you. And then the trailer itself just plugs in outside to my covered up big plug so there's wiring from "under the dash where my controller would go" to the outside plug...

A UHaul 5x8 trailer doesn't mention brakes, but the 6x12 trailer has a surge brake. So for the small trailer I would not need to add a brake controller, and for the larger one I would?
Correct on both counts.

If you're renting the 6x12 UHaul for a short trip, I wouldn't worry about the brake controller, but a longer haul, you might consider getting one.

• 2013 Pathfinder SL w/Premium in Brilliant Silver
    (replaces 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LT EXT)
  • 2007 BMW 530xi in Sapphire Black
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Surge brakes and electrical brakes are not the same thing: https://www.etrailer.com/question-87862.html
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Year: 2015
Trim: SL Tech
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillmj24 View Post
came with a white plastic connector with wires, sitting in the glove box. I know it's something towing related. What is this and what does it connect to on my hypothetical trailer?

The platinum has the hitch and the covered up 7 wire plug already installed from the factory.
I'm pretty sure what you found is not for the brake controller, that part is used for accessories such as illuminated kick plates.
Mine brought one hidden in the trunk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

No the kick plates need the accessory harness, 999Q9 AY000 which has about a dozen wires.

I've made other posts about doing the kickplates, this part I'm asking about I remember had 4 wires
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Surge brakes, unless my terminology is off, there is a master cylinder with brake fluid in the hitch ball area of the trailer. as the vehicle slows, the weight of the trailer going forward pushes on a piston just like a person pushing on a brake pedal without power brakes. The harder the towing vehicle stops, the more pressure put on the trailer brakes. No elec brake controller used. Manual system, works good for medium weight trailers and very low maintenance. My vehicle tow dolly has that system on it.

location...Western Washington (state not district)
Other vehicles
2010 Jetta diesel....everyday commuter
2001 suburban...RV vehicle
'56 Buick Special...dad bought new, pulled out back field and rebuilt early '90s
'46 Luscombe... RIP...looking for replacement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Pathfinder Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page