2Likes
  • 1 Post By JayArras
  • 1 Post By JayArras

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Dry weight recommendations?

We are looking at the possibility of buying our first travel trailer and hauling it with our 2015 PF SV. We've been looking at trailer models that have a dry weight of around 3,500 lbs. or less. Is that reasonable? I have a buddy who has some experience with hauling RVs who is telling me that leaving 1,500 lbs. for cargo is going to get me too close to the hauling limit.

A little more background: 99% of our camping is going to be at state parks and KOA campgrounds, where we won't have to haul water. The cargo will basically be food and drinks, clothing, camping gear, and our family of four.

BONUS QUESTION: When figuring out what weight I can tow, do I just look at the dry weight, or do I add the dry weight to the hitch weight? I asked some of these questions to the salesman at the RV dealer and got a lot of, "Don't worry ... you're fine!" with a big s-eating grin.

Last edited by SteveMM; 09-07-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Year: 2013
Trim: SL Premium Package
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
You should be fine with a trailer of 3500 lbs. dry weight or less. My trailer weighs in at about 3750 and I often also bring firewood with me in addition to tools, gear and a cooler with lots of beer.

The Pathfinder has a poor rear suspension, so a weight distribution hitch is also recommended.
SteveMM likes this.

• 2013 Pathfinder SL w/Premium in Brilliant Silver
    (replaces 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LT EXT)
  • 2007 BMW 530xi in Sapphire Black
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
You should be fine with a trailer of 3500 lbs. dry weight or less. My trailer weighs in at about 3750 and I often also bring firewood with me in addition to tools, gear and a cooler with lots of beer.

The Pathfinder has a poor rear suspension, so a weight distribution hitch is also recommended.
Thanks. That's what I needed to hear. I'll look into the weight distribution hitch. I don't know much of anything about that. I've heard I'll need a sway bar.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

On my setup, the sway bar attaches to the side of the WDH. Most will come with it, but some will not. The eTrailer.com web site has some very useful information.
SteveMM likes this.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Be sure to install the electric brake controller. See my thread. Assuming your trailer has electric brakes. I use an equalizer hitch which works great.

I tow about 5000 Lbs and have towed that trailer in excess of 10000 miles. I have about 70000+ miles now and have had no problems other than two broken door handles. The transmission didn't explode as some would have you expect. I have a sureline trailer hitch scale I use often (it's easy) to keep an eye on things.

I started out by taking along too much and just kept cutting back until I only had what i needed to keep weight in limits. But my hunting buddy still brings too much.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
I use this brake controller.

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contr...sha/90250.html

It is wireless, so there is nothing permanently attached or even wired in the cab. I just plug in the handset and leave it in the tray.

I unplug when done and put it in the console. Everything else stays factory fresh.

It will cost you a couple of hundred more, but it stays with the trailer, not the pathy.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dry weight recommendations?

We had a SUV with a trailer flip over the long weekend in town. Rumour was a pathfinder with no sway bars with a trailer at the top end of the towing range?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Experience teaches only the teachable. "
Aldous Huxley
(1894 - 1963)
"The gene pool could use a little chlorine"
Unknown

Last edited by Dirtydeeds; 09-08-2016 at 09:55 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Kohler - That looks like a great controller. I don't think that was out when I put my setup together. That would solve the problem where your friend could tow your camper but doesn't have the trailer brake controller installed or doesn't have the wiring harness installed. I may eventually switch to the Tekonsha Brake Controller - 90250.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtydeeds View Post
We had a SUV with a trailer flip over the long weekend in town. Rumour was a pathfinder with no sway bars with a trailer at the top end of the towing range?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A properly setup trailer combination shouldn't need sway bars. All they do is mask the underlying problem. If you have your tongue weight correct, tires properly inflated and are driving at an appropriate speed, there shouldn't be a hint of sway.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Kohler View Post
A properly setup trailer combination shouldn't need sway bars. All they do is mask the underlying problem. If you have your tongue weight correct, tires properly inflated and are driving at an appropriate speed, there shouldn't be a hint of sway.
...unless you're driving too fast....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Pathfinder Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page