Weight distribution system question for PF? - Nissan Pathfinder Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Weight distribution system question for PF?

Hi, I'm looking at getting a weight distribution kit for my PF when pulling my travel trailer and raising rear end sag.
How much ground clearance is there from the additional attachment to ground? Any scraping on speed bumps or uneven terrain? I'm browsing photos on Etrailer and curious since the PF isn't necessarily a tall riding vehicle.
Thanks in advance!

2015 PF SV 4wd
North Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

Year: 2013
Trim: SL Premium Package
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
The weight distribution hitch will actually raise the back end of the Pathfinder, but how much depends on the weight you have in the rear of the vehicle, your trailer tongue weight, and your WD setup. I have experienced issues on dirt paths where the tires have made deep grooves and the center mound is high, but not because of my setup. To be sure, the rear suspension sag is still clearly noticeable, but much improved with WD. I wouldn't consider towing a trailer over 1500 lbs. without it.

You're more likely to encounter issues with the rear of the trailer (i.e., bumper dragging) on uneven terrain.

• 2013 Pathfinder SL w/Premium in Brilliant Silver
    (replaces 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LT EXT)
  • 2007 BMW 530xi in Sapphire Black

Last edited by JayArras; 03-20-2016 at 11:20 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
bought eaz lift on amazon. had RV dealer installed, did a great job and holds well

2013 NISSAN PATHFINDER SV 4x4 BLACK W/ TOW OPTION AND CARPETS
TOWS ( 2012 JAYCO X20E 4800# TRAVEL TRAILER)

(previous 2008 Grand Cherokee Laredo AWD)
2ND CAR: 2005 SATURN L300 (In Laws let wife use)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Finally bought a kit and installed it. I test drove around the neighborhood and just around the block a couple times its a world of difference. No more sagging behind and pulls a lot quieter and no jerk at leaving a stop/red light. Will be giving it a road test this weekend.

2015 PF SV 4wd
North Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandomex1 View Post
Finally bought a kit and installed it. I test drove around the neighborhood and just around the block a couple times its a world of difference. No more sagging behind and pulls a lot quieter and no jerk at leaving a stop/red light. Will be giving it a road test this weekend.
after install i brought my 4700# camper home, wow amazing how it did no sagging, very stable with friction sway control, but creaks little need some grease, when i turn, now going camping in 2 weeks, see how going handle with more weights,, (loaded few mroe things food and clothes and camp supplies)..... I don't know why those nissan have soft springs, should have heavy duty springs for tow package which used to have jeep grand cherokee has HD springs no saggin... although for those you guys out there towing WDH is a best way to tow safe and level.

2013 NISSAN PATHFINDER SV 4x4 BLACK W/ TOW OPTION AND CARPETS
TOWS ( 2012 JAYCO X20E 4800# TRAVEL TRAILER)

(previous 2008 Grand Cherokee Laredo AWD)
2ND CAR: 2005 SATURN L300 (In Laws let wife use)

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wife and I are looking into a camper. But are nervous with the rear sag for long trips. Do you guys mind posting a link to the weight distribution hitch you got? Also pics of your Pathfinder with the wd hitch and trailer?

Thanks,
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Year: 2015
Trim: SL Tech
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Wife and I are looking into a camper. But are nervous with the rear sag for long trips. Do you guys mind posting a link to the weight distribution hitch you got? Also pics of your Pathfinder with the wd hitch and trailer?

Thanks,
The WDH you'll need depends on the trailer you end buying. There are many manufacturers, models and capacities. You want to buy one designed for your tongue weight so for the PF you'd be looking at the 300 - 500 lb models. You can buy them with integrated sway control or add it later if you want.
Check this page https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Wei...tribution.aspx

I have this one but my Pop Up is only about 3500 lb https://www.etrailer.com/comparison....85&pc2=RP66024

Last edited by jman; 05-12-2016 at 10:04 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Page 9-21 of the owners manual suggests that you only need a WDH for a trailer weight in excess of 5000lbs.

Also,

https://owners.nissanusa.com/content...wing-guide.pdf
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Year: 2013
Trim: SL Premium Package
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Kohler View Post
Page 9-21 of the owners manual suggests that you only need a WDH for a trailer weight in excess of 5000lbs.

Also,

https://owners.nissanusa.com/content...wing-guide.pdf
Nope! Read it again, Steve.

For Armada, Frontier, Pathfinder, Titan, and Nissan NV vehicles, a weight distributing hitch ball mount (Class IV) is recommended if you plan to tow trailers with a maximum weight over 5,000 lbs.

Secondly, that guide is generic for all Nissan vehicles. The Pathfinder's maximum tow weight rating is 5000 lbs. You could interpret that towing a trailer in excess of 5000 lbs. with a Pathfinder is okay, which is incorrect.

• 2013 Pathfinder SL w/Premium in Brilliant Silver
    (replaces 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LT EXT)
  • 2007 BMW 530xi in Sapphire Black

Last edited by JayArras; 05-13-2016 at 07:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Pathfinder Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page