Rear Riding Way to Low - Nissan Pathfinder Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Lewybrewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Rear Riding Way to Low

I've been towing around our new Rockwood 2280BH which is 2,200 dry, 280 at the hitch. Way under the 5,000/500 limit. Still the back is sagging way to much for my liking. Ideas?

-2014 Brilliant Silver SL 4x4 Pathfinder, Limo Tint, 4118 Towing Airbags, Smoked Rear Taillights

-Towing a 2015 2280BH PopUp Camper

-Resident Homebrewer
Lewybrewing is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator
 
JayArras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Fairfield County, CT
Year: 2013
Trim: SL Premium Package
Posts: 2,697
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
2014 Pathfinder - Air bag suspension?

  • 2013 Pathfinder SL w/Premium in Brilliant Silver
    (replaces 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LT EXT)
  • 2007 BMW 530xi in Sapphire Black
JayArras is online now  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 07:28 PM
Senior Member
 
vrodguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: va
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Your Forest river pop-up has the tongue @ 331 not sure if you have a propane tank but if so that's another 40lb's. I have a coachman freedom express 192 rbs I have a weight distribution hitch it pulls/rides great
vrodguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Lewybrewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank View Post
Your Forest river pop-up has the tongue @ 331 not sure if you have a propane tank but if so that's another 40lb's. I have a coachman freedom express 192 rbs I have a weight distribution hitch it pulls/rides great
Thanks for the replies. I've ordered (well looking into) an air bag set up. It just shows how soft the rear shocks are on these SUV's

-2014 Brilliant Silver SL 4x4 Pathfinder, Limo Tint, 4118 Towing Airbags, Smoked Rear Taillights

-Towing a 2015 2280BH PopUp Camper

-Resident Homebrewer
Lewybrewing is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 03:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewybrewing View Post
Thanks for the replies. I've ordered (well looking into) an air bag set up. It just shows how soft the rear shocks are on these SUV's
Any updates on the airbags?

Nissans of the past:
1980 Datsun 720 Pickup (L20B)
1986 Nissan 720 Pickup (Z24)
1992 Sentra SE-R (SR20DE)
1995 D21 SE 4x4 Pickup (VG30E)
1998 Maxima SE (VQ30DE)
Current:
2002 Maxima SE (VQ35DE)
2013 Pathfinder SL 4x4i (VQ35DE)
SR20DEN is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 04:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
have you tried using something like an Anderson Hitch to adjust the angle of the tongue?

Here's what I use - https://www.andersenhitches.com/Prod...ombo-ball.aspx
Slcbtf is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator
 
JayArras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Fairfield County, CT
Year: 2013
Trim: SL Premium Package
Posts: 2,697
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slcbtf View Post
have you tried using something like an Anderson Hitch to adjust the angle of the tongue?

Here's what I use - https://www.andersenhitches.com/Prod...ombo-ball.aspx
That's not going to help the sag; it will just raise the trailer.

  • 2013 Pathfinder SL w/Premium in Brilliant Silver
    (replaces 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LT EXT)
  • 2007 BMW 530xi in Sapphire Black
JayArras is online now  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 09:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,012
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
And screw up the trailer handling.
Bushman is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 11:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
In my opinion, the PF rear suspension is too soft. Particularly for the towing and tongue weight specs published by Nissan. I tow a 5000Lb loaded 500Lb tongue weight camper regularly where I use an equalizer weight distributing hitch. I tow a 3000Lb loaded 400Lb tongue weight boat often in the summer with a regular hitch. I have about 48000 miles on our 2013 PF. About 7000 miles are towing the camper. About 1000 miles are towing the boat. I have had no CVT problems. I always tow in tow mode, based on trans temp measurements I made on my previous vehicle. You can't really notice what the PF tow mode does unless you tow with a HEAVY trailer.

I always use #4118 airbags at about 25PSI when towing, about 5PSI when not towing. In my opinion, the #4118 bags are too short. I determined this by calculating the 'lift' in Lbs of the bags, the loaded and unloaded depression of the springs, and the tongue weight of my trailers (I regularly measure after loading up with a sureline hitch weight scale). Using the scale is fast and easy, particularly when I have helpers loading up and I didn't place items myself.

My friend has a Ford King Ranch that gets 18 MPG when not towing, 11 MPG when towing. My PF gets 22 when not towing, 11 when towing. Form your own opinion on that.
justchecking is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 09:29 AM
Junior Member
 
Romans116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justchecking View Post
In my opinion, the PF rear suspension is too soft. Particularly for the towing and tongue weight specs published by Nissan. I tow a 5000Lb loaded 500Lb tongue weight camper regularly where I use an equalizer weight distributing hitch. I tow a 3000Lb loaded 400Lb tongue weight boat often in the summer with a regular hitch. I have about 48000 miles on our 2013 PF. About 7000 miles are towing the camper. About 1000 miles are towing the boat. I have had no CVT problems. I always tow in tow mode, based on trans temp measurements I made on my previous vehicle. You can't really notice what the PF tow mode does unless you tow with a HEAVY trailer.

I always use #4118 airbags at about 25PSI when towing, about 5PSI when not towing. In my opinion, the #4118 bags are too short. I determined this by calculating the 'lift' in Lbs of the bags, the loaded and unloaded depression of the springs, and the tongue weight of my trailers (I regularly measure after loading up with a sureline hitch weight scale). Using the scale is fast and easy, particularly when I have helpers loading up and I didn't place items myself.

My friend has a Ford King Ranch that gets 18 MPG when not towing, 11 MPG when towing. My PF gets 22 when not towing, 11 when towing. Form your own opinion on that.
I just ordered the 4118 kit. Did you the install yourself? How is your experience thus far with the air bags?

2015 Pathfinder Platinum 4x4 Java Metallic
Romans116 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Pathfinder Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off