Gas mileage on my 2016 Pathfinder is 100 miles less per tank than my 2014 Pathfinder. - Nissan Pathfinder Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Gas mileage on my 2016 Pathfinder is 100 miles less per tank than my 2014 Pathfinder.

In September my two-year old 2014 Pathfinder Platinum was totaled (while parked on the road!) and I ended up getting a new 2016 Pathfinder Platinum - same exact car. Pretty much immediately, I noticed that the 2016 seemed to rev more aggressively and appeared to run in lower "gears" and at higher rpms than the 2014. Even upon start up it seemed that the first rev was much more aggressive than the 2014.

I just assumed that the 2016 was tuned differently and went on. By 1500 miles I knew something was wrong. My gas mileage could not get over 15.5mpg. This was on the display. When I calculate manually, I get about the same number, slightly lower.

My 2014 Pathfinder could get over 20mpg when highway driving. I have been doing the same 350 mile trip that is 95% highway miles and cannot get over 16mpg on that trip! Full tanks on the 2016 get from 240-260 miles on a full tank while the 2014 used to get 340-360. Nothing changed with our driving behavior and habits. I have to fill up noticeably more and our gas expense has increased 30-40%.

I took it for service at 1750 miles and no codes came up. They suggested I give the engine time to break in and get used to our driving habits, but really were unsure about what was happening because the part numbers are the same and there should be no difference between to 2014 and 2016 engine/transmission.

It is now over 4000 miles and the same problems. I average under 15mpg on the highway and under 13mpg in the city. I have done the same 350 mile highway trip 8 times with the same result on the 2016. Our mileage with the 2014 per tank on that trip was consistently different.

My next appointment will be on 1/12 days, but I know they'll pull no codes. I've asked them to make another 2016 pathfinder available so I can compare the drive because the difference when you even lightly depress the gas pedal is significant, and I want to try it on another new 2016.
Today I filled up. I drove 181.5 miles and got 10.8 mpg. It was 181 miles of 60 miles hwy and the rest city. Something is wrong with this new pathfinder.

Has anyone had this problem?

Any ideas on what is causing the problem?

Not only is the gas a major issue, but the drive is also too aggressive (ex. unwanted torque oversteer). I want my 2014 back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
CVT programming?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce0 View Post
In September my two-year old 2014 Pathfinder Platinum was totaled (while parked on the road!) and I ended up getting a new 2016 Pathfinder Platinum - same exact car. Pretty much immediately, I noticed that the 2016 seemed to rev more aggressively and appeared to run in lower "gears" and at higher rpms than the 2014. Even upon start up it seemed that the first rev was much more aggressive than the 2014.

I just assumed that the 2016 was tuned differently and went on. By 1500 miles I knew something was wrong. My gas mileage could not get over 15.5mpg. This was on the display. When I calculate manually, I get about the same number, slightly lower.

My 2014 Pathfinder could get over 20mpg when highway driving. I have been doing the same 350 mile trip that is 95% highway miles and cannot get over 16mpg on that trip! Full tanks on the 2016 get from 240-260 miles on a full tank while the 2014 used to get 340-360. Nothing changed with our driving behavior and habits. I have to fill up noticeably more and our gas expense has increased 30-40%.

I took it for service at 1750 miles and no codes came up. They suggested I give the engine time to break in and get used to our driving habits, but really were unsure about what was happening because the part numbers are the same and there should be no difference between to 2014 and 2016 engine/transmission.

It is now over 4000 miles and the same problems. I average under 15mpg on the highway and under 13mpg in the city. I have done the same 350 mile highway trip 8 times with the same result on the 2016. Our mileage with the 2014 per tank on that trip was consistently different.

My next appointment will be on 1/12 days, but I know they'll pull no codes. I've asked them to make another 2016 pathfinder available so I can compare the drive because the difference when you even lightly depress the gas pedal is significant, and I want to try it on another new 2016.
Today I filled up. I drove 181.5 miles and got 10.8 mpg. It was 181 miles of 60 miles hwy and the rest city. Something is wrong with this new pathfinder.

Has anyone had this problem?

Any ideas on what is causing the problem?

Not only is the gas a major issue, but the drive is also too aggressive (ex. unwanted torque oversteer). I want my 2014 back!
my used 2014 pathfinder have same problem... local/highway I get about 16mpg. the display on the dash would always say 18-19mpg , but the navi screen would calculate 15.5-16mpg and I also did hand calculation with putting gas and gas B - Gas A divide by gallons filledup.. I would always end up with 15-16mpg... since my car is out of the 35k mile warranty, do you think this can be cover under the power terrain warranty ?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Year: 2013
Trim: SL Premium Package
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce0 View Post
I've asked them to make another 2016 pathfinder available so I can compare the drive because the difference when you even lightly depress the gas pedal is significant, and I want to try it on another new 2016.
I think this is a good idea if they will accommodate you. Keep careful records so you will have a basis for comparison. If you follow the lemon law protocol for your state, you will have a good case for possibly getting your Pathfinder replaced.

• 2013 Pathfinder SL w/Premium in Brilliant Silver
    (replaces 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LT EXT)
  • 2007 BMW 530xi in Sapphire Black
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. It's in the shop right now and they're replacing the CVT valve lock. Not sure it's related but the thought process is it may have been the problem. Unfortunately, they didn't have any 2016s on the lot so I couldn't compare.
I'll check in to advise.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Well, the valve lock bulletin repair did nothing about the gas mileage. It's been 7000 miles since I bought it and we have been filling up 30-40% more gas than our 2014. We live in downtown Chicago, and it is a real pain to fill up twice a week. My 2014 was much better with gas and driving as well.

I will report back as I'm dropping it off again, for the third time, tonight. Now, Nissan is involved.

Has anyone else has such a problem? I've wondered if this is a simple oxygen sensor issue but one would think the dealership would know about this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Well, it looks like getting Nissan involved has changed things. The dealership was previously very understanding about getting my car looked at. I bought it in September, called my sales rep about the issue a month later, and had it looked at in November. The dealership gave me a loaner since I live in Chicago and had to travel to the burbs to the dealership. The brought up no codes and told me to let it adjust and break in, per the tech, since it was new. After several months and no changes I brought it back in January, they gave me a loaner again and this time they changed the valve body per bulletin in the hopes that it would take care of the problem. It didn't.

I was told to let service center know how it was doing when I filled up the next two tanks, which I did, and the mileage remained at 10.5 city and 14.5 hwy. Also, after the valve body was done I had a new symptom: a sudden jerk when driving out of an intersection, like I hit the brake. This is different than the shuddering issue the CVTs have. I reported this new issue as well. We agreed to bring it in again to have a longer look a the car during a phone call in February which I set up.

Last night, as I had my coat on and was getting ready to leave to drop it off at the dealership, I got a call from them telling me that I would need to pay for the loaner and I would need to pay them if no codes showed up. This was a complete about face from the helpful attitude I was dealing with earlier. I was also told that the pathfinder can go as low at 10mpg citing "forms" on Fuelly.com and from a guy who apparently brought his PF into the same dealership. Basically they tell me I'm hallucinating and that there's no problem with the 2016 PF.

Now, I have little choice but to move toward legal action and pay out of packet on this new car to evaluate it enough times to suffice under lemon/Federal laws. Also, Since opening the case with Nissan Consumer Affairs over a week ago and duly notifying them about the appt that was set up last night, I have received zero response from the two reps on my case despite sending at least an email each and leaving two voicemails each.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Ah yes, another victim of the high(er) speed THUNK! Welcome to the club - we've got jackets. Surprised it is in the 2016s now too (well, not really surprised, since it is the same POS CVT)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Pathfinder Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page