2011 tow hitch issues - Nissan Pathfinder Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2011 tow hitch issues

I have a 2011 Pathfinder Silver Edition that came with the factory 4-pin towing harness. I got a new bass boat and the trailer had a 5-pin harness so I took it to the dealer and they installed a 7-pin harness. I use a 7-to-5 pin connector to connect to the trailer.

The trailer lights constantly cut out and after much troubleshooting I determined that the connector (and I have used 5 different connectors) wiggles a bit in the harness which causes the intermittent failures especially when I hit a bump in the road or a poorly paved road. The trailer brakes have never released when reversing which means I have to manually lock them on the trailer with a pin every time I want to reverse. As you can imagine I am very frustrated. I tried opening the connectors up with a flathead screwdriver but the problem persists.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have spoken to other boat owners and I have yet to find anyone who has had similar issues with the connectors. I have been looking for a 5-pin harness so I can do away with the connector but I cannot find one. Would a 5-pin harness fix the braking issue? The dealership has not been helpful in fixing this issue and i do not know where else to turn.

Last edited by LargemouthAss; 10-12-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Year: 2015
Trim: SL Tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the forum.

Just because the dealer installed a 7 pin connector doesn't mean they connected everything to it.
You need to confirm that they wired the reverse lights to the centre pin (7-purple). You can do this by placing your vehicle in reverse gear (switch ON - engine OFF) so the reverse lights turn ON, and using a tester check between pin 7 and 1.

If there is no power, take it back to the dealer and tell them you need the reverse lights connected to the centre pin.
If there is, check that the solenoid valve on your trailer is working.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage
Does your trailer have electric brakes or surge brakes? If you have surge brakes, then you would need to manually lock them when you reverse, regardless of anything else.

I don't know if you are in Canada or not, but Princess Auto carries this. http://www.princessauto.com/en/detai...er/A-p8271173e

I'm sure you can find something similar at places local to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

They are surge brakes. I guess that explains the reversing issue. Thanks for the help!

Anyone have any advice regarding the adapter losing contact while driving?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Kohler View Post
Does your trailer have electric brakes or surge brakes? If you have surge then you would need to manually lock them when you reverse, regardless of anything else.

Modern boat trailers are equipped with a solenoid that will engage when you put your vehicle in reverse using a signal from the reverse lights. This solenoid will prevent the brakes from engaging when you back up.

A boat trailer equipped with a solenoid will come with a 5 pin connector vs. a 4 pin this is why I believe the OP's trailer is equipped with one.

Here is a pic of one of the various types available.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jman; 10-13-2016 at 10:41 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Yes my trailer is a 2015 so it probably has a solenoid
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargemouthAss View Post
Anyone have any advice regarding the adapter losing contact while driving?
Since you've tried 5 different adapters, I suspect that the ground terminal of your 5 pin trailer connector is lose.
Just close it a bit with a pair of pliers, pressing the plastic that surrounds it. If that doesn't solve the issue, check the ground connection to the trailer's frame.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Pathfinder Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page