Need a roof rack, please help - Nissan Pathfinder Forum
 8Likes

post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Need a roof rack, please help

Okay, got my very base model Pathfinder. Did not come with the roof rails. I have tried to talk to people about installing a Thule kit and i was informed they do not make one for the 2013 Pathfinder. So then i called Nissan dealership to see if they could install the OEM rails, and they said 'not after the fact'...i refuse to believe that i am stuck without the possibility of a roof rack...that plastic screw cover that's on it, shouldn't i be able to remove that and install a roof rack kit like the one from Thule? Be gentle guys, this is my first SUV and i dont know squat when it comes to this stuff BUT any help would be much appreciated! I need to go kayaking, among many other things, so please help me out if you can!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yazz, It looks like you will have to go low-tech for awhile to get your kayak-fix. Foam wedges will have to suffice until Yakima and Thule get their act together on fits for bare-roofed Pathy's. I don't know why the dealer can't attach the rails aftermarket--seems strange.

2013 Pathfinder SV 4 X 4 in white w/ tan interior.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
Okay, got my very base model Pathfinder. Did not come with the roof rails. I have tried to talk to people about installing a Thule kit and i was informed they do not make one for the 2013 Pathfinder. So then i called Nissan dealership to see if they could install the OEM rails, and they said 'not after the fact'...i refuse to believe that i am stuck without the possibility of a roof rack...that plastic screw cover that's on it, shouldn't i be able to remove that and install a roof rack kit like the one from Thule? Be gentle guys, this is my first SUV and i dont know squat when it comes to this stuff BUT any help would be much appreciated! I need to go kayaking, among many other things, so please help me out if you can!

Thanks!

Hey Yazz,
Did you get an answer to this question yet? I like the stubby rails that are on the Infinity and was wondering if they would fit my Pathy....Anybody?
huuuuuman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yazz,

If there are inserts along the outer edge of the roof then you can install a roof rack. The dealer is full of crap. Go aftermarket and find a rack dealer or check the websites.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

I was wondering the same, there are plenty SUVs out there that seem to be the same dimensions yet the dealer refuses to tell me anything. No luck yet, even in the aftermarket spectrum. Thule doesnt have any options available for a 'naked roof' which sucks, but I wont give up. Sorry it took forever to write back, been out of commission here, but i am doing my best to find a resolution to this. I am about to do my wheels in black, then the chrome accents are going black, eventually to have it all be a matte black (just like that stuff) then the new bull guard (front only) is going to be installed, and the roof rails and rack would be awesome!
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
So then i called Nissan dealership to see if they could install the OEM rails, and they said 'not after the fact'...i refuse to believe that i am stuck without the possibility of a roof rack...
You need to find a different dealer... surely you can find one who will sell you the OEM parts you need. Apparently your dealer just doesn't want to make money!

It looks like there isn't a "kit" since this isn't sold as an accessory, but you could just buy these parts and do it yourself. There won't be instructions (unless you get a service manual), but it doesn't really look too complicated. Especially if there are inserts at the mounting points.

Here is the part diagram for the roof rails (and part numbers for each part you will need):
Yazz likes this.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

dcline414:
Thank you for the diagram and parts...i was thinking about doing that and as you said, it does not seem complicated at all. I pulled back some of the plastic and saw the screws and all that for the attachment. The only tricky part would be cutting the plastic right, so that your roof doesnt look all rugged (which is technically what I am going for but you get the point)...

I am ordering my bull guard today, i wanted to wait for more options but for what it is, and how it looks, i think i'll get it. I'll be uploading pics for everyone to see.

at least i have learned a valuable lesson: BUY SUV WITH THE **** ROOF RAIL lol

thanks for the input!
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

update:

just got off the phone with a dealership and the parts department explained that the reason i cannot find one is because the 'naked roof' option doesnt even have the weight support that is also installed under the top of the car. So pretty much i am SOL for one. I still don't understand how I could not install something myself because it's not like they made my roof out of brittle plastic. I think dcline414 hit it on the head with 'DIY' option. I am sure my roof can handle a darn kayak that barely weighs anything. If not...well...**** lol
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
update:

just got off the phone with a dealership and the parts department explained that the reason i cannot find one is because the 'naked roof' option doesnt even have the weight support that is also installed under the top of the car. So pretty much i am SOL for one. I still don't understand how I could not install something myself because it's not like they made my roof out of brittle plastic. I think dcline414 hit it on the head with 'DIY' option. I am sure my roof can handle a darn kayak that barely weighs anything. If not...well...**** lol
I find that weight support claim to be BS, how the heck does it handle the pressure from the wind when going at highway speeds if it' can't support weight.

I would try to get a second opinion.
dcline414 likes this.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanguy View Post
I find that weight support claim to be BS, how the heck does it handle the pressure from the wind when going at highway speeds if it' can't support weight.

I would try to get a second opinion.
It seems to me that the primary function of any sort of "weight" support would be to improve crash safety (and the highly publicized ratings). I can't imagine that they actually produce a different version of the roof for the small fraction of Pathfinders sold as the base trim without roof rails. All other versions come standard with them, and it sounds like it was an option on the S trim level as well. So they make 5-10% without roof rails? Hardly seems like it would justify the cost of producing a different roof structure.

Edit to add: There is a 21lb curb weight difference between the S and the SV. The power driver's seat and 7" info screen have to account for some if not most of that weight difference. So unless their roof reinforcement is made of tin foil, I think this myth is officially busted.
cwa107 and mypath2013 like this.

Last edited by dcline414; 09-23-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Added weight difference info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Pathfinder Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page