Fuel Type - Nissan Pathfinder Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Fuel Type

Hi there guys, i have a question about our '14 Nissan Pathfinder fuel type. Im confused which type of fuel should i use, based on what is written on the owner's manual. I attached a photo just to show you guys what i mean.
Thanks and more power!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10264338_10203217668556663_1919350290_n.jpg (93.3 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 10261803_10203217667956648_842629397_n.jpg (16.8 KB, 44 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Use unleaded regular gasoline with an octane rating of at least 87 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number (Research octane number 91) At least that is what my 2014 manual says.
Patpat likes this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 03:34 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I'm glad someone raised this question as it was one of the main purchasing decisions for the Pathfinder. Other brands (Mazda CX9) mandate premium fuels.

I'm surprised you guys get any reasonable rule economy at all with fuel of 87 Octane. Seriously? would not have believed it if not for the picture.

In Australia we have generally 3 fuel mixes.

E10 (10% ethanol) at 91 Octane and some at 94 Octane. (A$144.9 Cents / Litre)
Unleaded 91 Octane (A$148.9 Cents / litre)
Unleaded 95 Octane (A$156.9 Cents / litre)
Premium unleaded 98 Octane (A$162.9 cents / litre)

(at time of writing A$1 was US$0.93)

I'm running E10 94 Octane and get a noticeable difference in power over 91 octane.
I've not yet run 98 in the things as I cannot justify the extra expense.

I get about 380km out of a tank.

Brian
Patpat likes this.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
It is an interesting question. We had a pretty good discussion about the topic a while back on this forum. See this thread What type of gas do you guys use to fill up your PF?

The 2013/2014 Pathfinder is designed to run on 87 octane.

Bottom line, using an octane higher than is recommended by the manufacturer is generally a waste of money as higher octane is used for engines with higher compression ratios.

Using an octane lower than recommended can actually be harmful to the engine, although most engines today will try to compensate for it. The operative word here is try. Just never use anything lower than 87 octane and you will be fine.
Bushman and Patpat like this.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thank you so much for your response guys!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Some gas in Ontario has ethanol which is not a good thing for small engines...it screwed up my Honda lawnmower and Stihl chain saw which I use at work. So I'm a little paranoid about using ethanol gas in my vehicles.

They say that it won't affect autos but Id rather not take that chance after experiencing my trouble with my lawnmower and chainsaw.

Apparently it leaves a syrupy residue in the hose lines and carb. At most gas stations the 91/93 is ethanol free so I use 91 or 93 in my Pathy. Here is a link of ethanol free gas in North America.

http://pure-gas.org/
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
I never knew that about gas up in canada and i used to fill up on their 87 when im over their, i'll make sure not to do that again. but 91 is a lot more.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 11:04 AM

Ethanol in gas is all over North America and not just Canada. You even have to watch marinas since they will often get regular with ethanol which can be a Bad Thing (tm) in boat engines. Regretfully that means buying premium on the water which should run about $1.60 CAD per liter this summer. Although it could be worse - a couple years back we were paying about a buck eighty! BOAT stands for "Break Out Another Thousand".

Last edited by Bushman; 04-27-2014 at 11:08 AM.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry View Post
Some gas in Ontario has ethanol which is not a good thing for small engines...it screwed up my Honda lawnmower and Stihl chain saw which I use at work. So I'm a little paranoid about using ethanol gas in my vehicles.
Interesting. My Stihl runs fine with it. Even Stihl says 10% ethanol is OK. http://www.stihlusa.com/faq/products/limited-warranty/
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Interesting. My Stihl runs fine with it. Even Stihl says 10% ethanol is OK. http://www.stihlusa.com/faq/products/limited-warranty/
The problem with ethanol is its qualities vary from place to place and from talking to my Stihl dealer and my small motor mechanic, gas with ethanol has to be fresh. It does not winter well and my mechanic says don't even touch it if its over a month old.
I use my Stihl every day for rough in HVAC installation. The Stihl dealer was the one who gave me the "pure-gas" web site and in his opinion there is more evidence of its "bad qualities" compiling every year.
Anyway, when you search the on going debate on ethanol or no ethanol its the same as RO water or not RO water, its 50/50 for both topics...I chose my side. Its all about the big money ethanol conspiracy theory. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Pathfinder Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page