2Likes
  • 2 Post By cwa107

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage
4wd lock

Pew had big snow storm a couple of days ago. Pathy was awesome. The only thing I couldn't figure out is how the 4wd lock works. I would turn it on and then a couple of minutes later it would turn off and then I would have to turn it back on. Why does it turn off?

Last edited by sparky2708; 01-25-2014 at 01:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 01:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Based on speed etc.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
The 4wd mode lock will automatically shift back to auto mode once you pass about 25 mph.
According to Nissan it's only for low speed and to pull out of a problem area.
Unlike the older pathfinders, you cannot lock it in 4wd. it in my opinion is not a true 4wd, just a little better then the auto mode in the event you have to plow through some foul territory.

On my 4th or 5th PF, too many to remember !

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky2708 View Post
Pew had big snow storm a couple of days ago. Pathy was awesome. The only thing I couldn't figure out is how the 4wd lock works. I would turn it on and then a couple of minutes later it would turn off and then I would have to turn it back on. Why does it turn off?
LOCK mode is only intended to get you out of a completely stuck situation. It will hold for some time, but it's not a good idea to keep it on as it is possible for the wheels to bind, particularly when making turns, and could therefore damage the drivetrain.

AUTO is the correct mode for driving in inclement weather or light-to-moderate off-road conditions (obviously CUVs are not meant for hard-core off-roading). In AUTO mode, a certain amount of power is automatically sent to the rear wheels when you start from a stopped position. During normal maneuvers, power will be automatically transferred to the rear wheels as needed.

Splitting the power evenly between front and rear wheels 50/50 may seem like the best way to maintain traction, but it is not. Depending on engine RPM, the amount of power being sent to the wheels will vary significantly. Consider that you're at low throttle, perhaps producing 50 HP at the wheels. You have the vehicle in LOCK and you're slowly trudging up a hill in deep snow. Now, you have 25 HP front and rear (12HP at each wheel) - but your vehicle weighs 4500lbs, so you either have to get on the throttle, increasing the chance of wheel spin, bogging you down (and approaching a "stuck" condition) or hope that your momentum is enough to carry you through. With the weight over the front wheels, they will typically have the most traction, having the system automatically transfer torque front to rear ensures that you have adequate power AND optimal traction at the same time. In short, it is the best of both worlds.

In a truly stuck condition, where it's impossible for the system to react in a reasonable way to get you unstuck, the 4WD LOCK makes sense. However, most of the time, assuming you are underway under limited traction conditions, it's better to conserve how power is being distributed and doing so in logical way. This is exactly what AUTO mode does. In situations like rock crawling, stuck conditions, pulling a boat out of the water on a slippery ramp, LOCK is the right choice - but again, in those cases, you're only going to need the full-time split 50/50 for a short stint.
dcline414 and Bushman like this.

Current: 2016 Toyota Highlander XLE in Predawn Gray Mica with Ash leather

Former: 2013 Nissan Pathfinder SL Premium in Dark Slate with Charcoal leather

2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium in Venetian Red Pearl with Black cloth interior

Last edited by cwa107; 01-25-2014 at 10:31 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have also noticed that 4X4 lock will disengage if you have good traction on a tight turn even at low speeds. Likely to protect the drivetrain from binding up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Pathfinder Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page