Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

Burning Transmission/Engine Coolant Smell and Smoke from engine compartment

10K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Lgregory 
#1 ·
I have 2013 Pathfinder Platinum with 24000 miles on it. Two days ago we noticed a strong odor that can best be described as burning coolant or transmission fluid. Upon opening the hood and shining a flash light on the drivers side in the front the strong odor was there and there was slight smoke in the same amount that would come from a smoldering cigarette.

I took the car to the dealer for repair and they said they pressure tested the system and could find no leaks. They told me it could be road salt on the catalytic converter which makes no sense that the smoke and odor is from the engine compartment and not underneath the car where there is no catalytic converter. Challenging them further they came back with reference to a technical service bulletin that coolant smell in the cabin is normal under certain operating conditions. Has anyone else encountered this and found a solution? It does not seem normal to have smoke and a burning coolant smell.

#2 ·
#3 ·
Haven't experienced this on my pathfinder, however i did have a similar experience with an old corrolla, with a similar coolant type smell that ended up being a leaking power steering pump, ever so slightly, the power steering fluid would drop on the exhuast and burn away, leaving the odor. Only really found it after leak got bigger.

Not saying this is your problem, but could be something similar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.